What would you do?

Josh-NY

I'm having a BBQ in 2 weeks and expecting about 25 people. Because a bunch of the people coming have had my smoked meats before, the pressure is on. My plan is to make a pork butt to shred, a brisket and some ribs. Obviously, I can't make everything in the WSM at the same time. In addition to the WSM, I also have a Weber One Touch Silver 22.5, a Smokey Joe Gold and a Genesis Platinum gas grill. So here are the questions:

1) What would you cook in the WSM (because its all not going to fit)?

2) What would you use to cook the remaining meat? (I'm assuming it would be nearly unanimous for the One Touch Silver)

3) Other then the meats that I mentioned, what other meats would you consider making for a gathering that would be delicious and impressive?

Thanks...your opinions are valued

Josh,

How about doing the pork butt and perhaps brisket in advance? Then you could chill those and just reheat in the oven for the party. That would free up your cookers for just the ribs on the day of the party, and that would greatly simplify what you would need to do as guests are arriving.

David,
Do you believe that reheated pork butt and brisket are as good as when they were just cooked?
Would you shred the butt when it came out of the cooker or would you wait until it was reheated?
Josh

im w/ tony, plus some bad ash baked beans in recipie section, thats what I'm gonna do in a couple 3 weeks. your all over this amigo. have a good bbq, enjoy your family. -Dan

I open a BBQ shack on the weekends. There is no way I could get everything done If I had to do it all saturday morning. I do the butts and brisket on thursday night. I take it off about noon the next day. The brisket actually comes off in the morning.

The brisket gets the point taken off and put back on the smoker and the flat rests for a hour or so, then to the fridge whole. I leave as much fat on the flat from the point as I can. I then take what I can off the point after removal. I save the fat and put in the pan for the reheat. The point gets put in til noon with the butts for use in Keri C's hog apple beans in the side dish section. The flat gets reheated with the fat some apple juice and water.

The butts rest for several hours then I pull it and fridge it. I reheat with a mix of apple juice, cider vineager, and water. I don't feel it effects the quality at all.

That frees up my Saturday morning for ribs and chicken and whatever else.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do you believe that reheated pork butt and brisket are as good as when they were just cooked? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, as long as they are chilled properly and reheated properly.

I will thrid what David and Jeff have said. On top of what they pointed out it will be much more relaxing for you.

Many times I find that leftover butt and brisket actually tastes smokier (a good thing in my opinion) than when it is just taken out of the smoker and rested. I would definately go this route and do the ribs the day of, I don't personally find that they reheat as well for me.

Clark

Josh,
Do yourself a favor and take some of the pressure off of trying to cook all that meat and impressing your guests! Cook ahead of time, vacuum seal, freeze or chill (depending on how long in advance) and then reheat the day of the event by placing the bags of meat in boiling water until warmed through. I do this with everything, pork, brisket chicken and ribs and it works perfect.

If you want the smoker or grill going for the ambience of a cook out, then grill some chicken or put some beans on with a small chunk of wood for the "effect".

You will have more time to spend with your guests and they will have no idea you didn't cook the food that day!

Back