What to do with spare parts from spare ribs....

Mike May

TVWBB Member
I cleaned out my freezer this weekend and discovered some "spare rib scraps" - basically the leftovers from trimming spare ribs. I had cooked them along with the St. Louis trimmed spares - and then sealed them in food savers. After that cook, I had kind of decided that the cooking trimmings wasn't worth the effort - but now, I have seen the light.

I'm starting to cook with dried beans - soaked some last night and then decided to add the meat from the rib scraps to the beans - I ended up with something that could best be called a bean soup - with as many rib scraps as beans. The mix has the rub flavoring, the smoke flavoring - I added a little salt, garlic and chili powder - and the results were awesome. I'm not considering throwing away the scraps any more.

Maybe this isn't the right forum to post this in - but it's using by products from spares made on a WSM.

Mike are you talking about the tips you cut off the top of the ribs when cut through the cartilage at the top of the rib? If you are I got to tell you I cook them with my ribs and love them. They have the little knuckle like bones in them but I don't care they are delicious. They usually are done before the ribs and I often eat them as a cook snack.

I generally just freeze them when trimming and before cooking. Like others I put them in with baked beans. Lately I've been wondering what they might be like with a coating and deep fried as my pile is building and I'm not cooking beans often enough?

Here in the St Louis area, most all stores sell spares already trimmed, with the tips, etc included.
If the package says "St Louis spare ribs" then the tips are not included, and they cost a buck or so more per pound. (go figure)
I cook them with the slab, and serve along with the ribs.

First they get cut up and into the beans if not consumed before hand. Like this picture I did for the rib challenge.

ribcontest032_zpsacc0cabd.jpg
[/IMG]

The other course of action, if I several kids or friends over to eat and they are early, the cuttings are done before the ribs and served as snacks. If not then frozen, and used in something else............................d

Back