What to do with 9 hours of unexpected rest time?

Kyle H.

TVWBB Fan
My butts went on at 7pm last night. Followed the championship injection recipe sans the injection. Almost overflowing charcoal ring and 32 briqs in the chimney starter. I lit 32 because the last 3 smokes have run lower than expected temps. These butts were also about a combined 2lbs. larger than normal. I didn't bother opening the bottom vents and I actually left all 3 bottom vents and the top vent closed through the entire cook. The outside overnight temperatures were in the low 60s with an occasional drizzle, I thought this was a perfect scenario for a nice long 18 hour smoke.

Well 11 hours later with a steady lid temp of 270 and I had to pull them off the smoker at 6am running an internal temp of 195 after measuring two spots on each butt. Very unexpected considering I never opened any part of the smoker nor did I adjust any vents. All remained 100% closed.

The butts look good other than I usually get more char on the bark. So I did the expected double wrap in heavy duty foil and put them in a towel lined cooler. But here is my problem. They went in the cooler around 6:15am, the party starts at 4pm. What can you guys recommend I do to ensure they're nice and moist and maybe even warm when my guests are ready to eat? I've got a organic apple juice that I was planning on spritzing the pulled pork with. What else can I do? Something in the oven maybe? Help me use my time effectively!

Thanks and sorry for the rant.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">running an internal temp of 195 after measuring two spots </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Were they tender or did you just go by temp?

Me, I'd pull the meat after an hour more or so, mixing it with a little finishing sauce during pulling, cool it quickly, chill it, then reheat later for serving. I wouldn't bother to try holding hot for that long myself; easier (for me) not to.

They were definitely tender. I actually had to bring out a spatula to remove them from the grate. The bits that clung to the grate were picked off and served as breakfast this morning
icon_smile.gif

Does your cooling, chilling, and reheating process involve a vacuum-sealer? I don't have one of those just yet. If not then I'd love to hear a bit more detail as to what you do. Thanks for the quick reply!

It sounds unusual to me to close the top vent. I think most leave that open to cut down on the bitter creosote (?) buildup. I wonder how that affected temps in the cooker. As for holding the meat, I'd follow Kevin's advice.

Ahh, wireless Net issues. Sorry for delay.

I vac more often to freeze; not so much if I'm needing later in the day.

When I pull the meat I toss it with finishing sauce. I'll often chill a sheetpan or two in the freezer ahead of time, pull the meat into a bowl, tossing with fin sauce as I go, then moving the meat to the chilled pan to cool more quickly. I'll stick the pan(s) in the fridge for the last bit of cooling, if needed, then put the meat into a roasting pan, cover with foil, and return to the fridge. (What I avoid is pulling the meat and merely piling it into a pan --or worse: packing it into a pan-- covering it, and expecting it to cool in the fridge. It won't -- not in the time it needs to -- and this opens the door to safety problems.)

For reheating I simply place the pan in a 300-325 oven. After 20-25 min, I remove the cover and stir, adding a sprinkle of finishing if needed. I recover, return to the oven, then stir again maybe 10-15 min later. I remove when just hot, i.e., a bit hotter than serving temp, and serve. (Don't reheat till simmering hot. Not needed, and once that hot the meat is cooking again.)

I serve with whatever Q sauce(s) I made on the side. Finishing sauce on the side as well, for those who prefer vin-based sauces.

Well I waited till the internal was reading about 155 and I pulled them both straight into a foil pan and sprinkled rub and a few teaspoons of sauce in and stirred it to incorporate. It's in the fridge tightly sealed with foil awaiting my guests at which point I will reheat after a spritzing of organic apple juice. My hopes have been restored, I think its going to turn out great.

If pork is this forgiving I just don't understand how there's so much bad barbecue out there. Boggles the mind...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If pork is this forgiving I just don't understand how there's so much bad barbecue out there. Boggles the mind... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tell me about it. Having eaten at literally many hundreds of Q joints, restaurants, etc., I can count on maybe two hands how often I've had Q that is at all remarkable -- even 'forgiving' butt, which is often bland, over-reheated, served barely warm (very common), or any combo of these.

Originally posted by Kyle H.:
I didn't bother opening the bottom vents and I actually left all 3 bottom vents and the top vent closed through the entire cook.
I'm hard pressed to understand why your fire didn't go out. Any comments people? Some air must have been getting in from somewhere it would seem to me. After a cook, it seems it isn't more than 2-3 hours after I close all the vents that the temp is down to where I can cover the smoker, maybe 100* or so.

The sandwiches actually came out excellently. The barbecue sauce I made complimented the pork perfectly and along with a friend's coleslaw, featuring corn and finely diced jalapenos, we had comments that all of the components were very harmonious and the result was a fantastic sandwich.

I waited about 2 hours after the guests arrived and then I sprayed with AJ and dusted with rub and put the pan into the oven at 225 for 45 minutes stirring, spraying, and re-dusting every 15 minutes. The result was very good. If my next smoke actually runs at the right temperature and I get a good 16-18 hours then I think I'll have mastered my pulled pork.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kyle H.:
Here are a few choice photos from the barbecue. I'm the one in the black Despised Icon shirt. Yeah, I know I don't look like your typical smoke barbecue guy... It's all about the passion though!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2...s/72157618960567871/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i wish i had found BBQ when i was your age. it would have kept me out of all the bad things i got into in my early to late 20's

I think we all come in different shapes and sizes. You look like your having fun and thats what it's all about. You look typical in my opinion. Vince

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
Any comments people? Some air must have been getting in from somewhere it would seem to me. After a cook, it seems it isn't more than 2-3 hours after I close all the vents that the temp is down to where I can cover the smoker, maybe 100* or so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, there is something wrong here. An hour after shutting down all of the vents on my last cook, the WSM was cool enough to pick up with bare hands.

And if it could have been today I could have made it. Cruising by on the way to A.C. in just a little while. Looks really good and looks like a fun time too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Carl H.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
Any comments people? Some air must have been getting in from somewhere it would seem to me. After a cook, it seems it isn't more than 2-3 hours after I close all the vents that the temp is down to where I can cover the smoker, maybe 100* or so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, there is something wrong here. An hour after shutting down all of the vents on my last cook, the WSM was cool enough to pick up with bare hands. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Agreed.

Mine developed an out-of-round condition after too many quick avoid-the-hurricanes moves. It's very hard to see but it's there. I have used a foil gasket since, where the center meets the bottom.

I moved the smoker to the patio below my deck due to thunderstorms so the only reason I can come up with for my smoker running so high is a loose fit somewhere when I re-assembled. Oh well, still tasted amazing!

Back