What Do you Use for Poultry (esp. Turkey) Shears?

wife bought me a pair of Henkel shears , junk imo. not sure if they have different ones or what, locks up if you squeeze them all the way together

Update on these OXO shears: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PGG7ZQ/?tag=tvwb-20

I've been using them over the past 6 months on chickens with great ease. Yesterday was my first time using them to spatchcock a turkey, which weighed 24 pounds, and they did a very credible job. I was able to cut the backbone without taking any breaks, lol, and without having any hand fatigue.
Brian - thanks for the recommendation on these shears. I just bought them and will be replacing a set of shears that has been frustrating me for a bit.

I have the “Ree Drummond” version of those, they are OK not fabulous but, they work pretty well, not as well as my vintage stag handled shears that were my grandmothers. Those are a little more delicate when washing them but, they seriously dispatch bird bones!

Update on these OXO shears: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PGG7ZQ/?tag=tvwb-20

I've been using them over the past 6 months on chickens with great ease. Yesterday was my first time using them to spatchcock a turkey, which weighed 24 pounds, and they did a very credible job. I was able to cut the backbone without taking any breaks, lol, and without having any hand fatigue.
I'm late to the party, but I have had these OXO kitchen shears for about 5-6 years and I am also very pleased with them.
They've cut up many wings and chickens - and year before last, spatchcocked a turkey. I've also used them for other things they
probably weren't intended for, but overall, a very handle tool. HANDY LOL

Last edited:
Timothy, a handy thing with kitchen shears is being able to take them apart for cleaning. I don't see that with the shears you linked.
Yep, sadly neither do grandmas! It is very difficult to get the throat really clean, at least for me

I think/know Ed was talking to me, but what the hell does that mean?
What are you talking about. The throat? That’s the deepest part of the blade where the joint is. The point is simply that a pair of shears that come apart are easier to clean than those that do not, clear enough?

I bought the OXO poultry shears based on this. They work well, I used them to spatchcock a chicken. They feel a bit unfinished, though easily sturdy enough to lop off a finger if I get careless. Jinx!

I read that as cleaning the throat of grandmas. It's a case of the missing apostrophe.:LOL:
Is this the grandma that eats, shoots, and leaves? 😁 (No disrespect to anyone intended, just have always loved that grammar example.)

What are you talking about. The throat? That’s the deepest part of the blade where the joint is. The point is simply that a pair of shears that come apart are easier to clean than those that do not, clear enough?
Well that's a new one for me because I never heard of the base of a scissor or shear being called a " throat "
And then you add grandma to the mix?
Sorry that was not "clear enough".

Back