What brand of lump would you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Etheridge

TVWBB Super Fan
I've read all the stuff on the Naked Whiz. I can get "Chef Wagon" brand lump at Wal-Mart (not Cowboy's like I orginally thought) and it gets a pretty good review from "The Whiz" but I'd like some more opinions.

Anyone ever use "Chef Wagon" lump before? What others do you recommend?
------------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

My local Trader Joe's just got their first batch of Cowboy's in. $4.99 a bag -- I did my first smoke with lump using it. 7.5 hours for spare ribs. Held steady with no problems at 225-240 the entire time. I found there was less ash to deal with, which meant the smoldering coals didn't seen to get smothered as easily. For those using Kingsford, I suggest trying it.

I bought a bag of Real Flavor Lump at my local Wal-Mart. IMO this is a better product than Cowboy. The size of the lump and the quality is better. I had 2 bags of Cowboy I bought at Lowes. One bag had some large chunks of somthing that was not wood, looked like pumice stone, it was light and broke easily. I sent a picture to the Naked Wiz, he had no clue what it was. That alone would make me choose another brand. I used the Real Flavor last weekend and was pleased with its performance. I am off this week for the first time in years, plan to do some testing to see if the lump is as good as Kingsford for long slow smokes.

Steve
I would be interested in your opinion of Real Flavor when you try your long smoke. I use it in the kettle and like it, just haven't tried it in the WSM.

Bob

Put a box of K-lump in the WSM with four butts. This is the coconut lump from the good folks at Kamado. Put the butts on last night at 8:00pm, took off at 8:00am this morning. When I orginally dumped the box of lump in it just came over the charcoal ring. This morning the coals were maybe one inch below the ring and still going strong. I put another four butts on without adding any charcoal, planning on these coming off close to 8:00pm or a little before. Plan on putting four more on and doing another overnighter. The k-lump is extemely dense, no flavor to speak of but a few handfulls of mesquite chunks took care of this. The color of the butts is a dark cherry with a small amount of black. Lots better color than with Kingsford. Almost no ash at all. Will see how much more lump I need to add this evening after 24 hours straight cooking. I have experienced 225 temps for 48 hours on one box in my Kamado.

Dennis

Hope you'll post further on this cook. It is interesting. I did 4 butts last weekend and went 22 hrs. I'm amazed you could get them done in 12 hours - I assume you're talking about the 195 range.

12 butts - you must be planning one helluva party !

Paul

Dear Daughter is getting married down here in AZ on May 1st. I of course am stuck for wedding that a big hotel is putting on. The grooms side decided on a bbq for rehersal dinner. I voluntered to do pulled pork for 60. I only have the one WSM down here. So I am doing four butt rotations and then will switch to four large packer briskets hopefully on Friday. Figure on 7 half pans of pulled or roughly 35 pounds and whatever the four briskets will yield. My second round are up to 168 right now and the WSM is almost shut down, but it is 87 outside right now.
Will freeze all the half pans and put the brisket in vacubags until next weekend.

Kamado Extruded lump has proven in test (go to the Naked Wiz web site) to burn for a long time. I would love to buy some but IMO it is a little too expensive with shipping and all. If I could find some people in my area that want to split a pallet then I would get some. I am also hearing good things about wicked good lump, but currently I have not tried it for the same reason.

I've tried Cowboy and did'nt like the size too small. I'm using Royal Oak and the pieces are bigger and the burn times are good. I still can't beat the price of Kingsford, I can get two bags of 20 lbs for 7.49 at Home depot and I can get two bags 24 lbs at Cosco for the same price. Where can you get that much lump for that price? I know one thing for sure lump is really good for grilling steaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back