What are you cooking for the 4th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Vrobel

TVWBB Member
I've got the in-laws coming over for a 4th of July cookout. I'm going with Spare Ribs, Beer Can Chicken, and a BBQ Cabbage. (And a few lovely beverages...) I can't think of a better way to celebrate our country's birthday.

(Well, OK, cooking 109 slabs of baby backs overnight would be a better way, but I don't think my in-laws are going to be THAT hungry.)

I've got a 49 cent a pound brisket in the fridge that I'm going to marinate in the dr pepper marinade that was posted on this site. Rub it with some of the Wild Willys rub from Smoke and Spice, and smoke it on the 4th. I will get this brisket thing down.

Unfortunately, nothing on the WSM. We'll both be working but I will probably grill up a couple nice steaks, then we'll wander down to the bay and see if we can catch some fireworks through the fog.

Last year we spent the better part of the night in our next door neighbor's back yard, consoling their dog who was scared out of his wits from the firecrackers in the street. Poor thing got his head stuck in the fence trying to run away so we had to sneak into their yard, free the dog, and sit and pet it all night. Fortunately, they were grateful and not angry that we climbed their fence.

Our next cook on the WSM might not actually happen until August, when we take the WSM to Washington to visit some friends on Long Lake. We're stopping there for a few days, then we're going on a cruise to Alaska, then another day or so on Long Lake before we head home.

So -- not as much WSMing this summer as I would like, but it's a fun summer nonetheless.

Have a happy and SAFE 4th of July, all!

Kelly

Originally planned on 3 racks of baby backs and 2 pork butts on the WSM. Went to Costco this morning, no pork butts.

SO..... I am making the BB ribs plus 2 beer can chickens, one with BBQ rub and one with Jamaican Jerk.

Have a happy, safe 4th and God Bless America.

Ken

Two racks of spares from Albertson that are only 1.99 lb. but were frozen before. Do they lose a lot of quality that way? Do they need more mopping to keep from drying out? Never used meat that was frozen before.

I have 3racks of baby backs and will be trying the beer can chicken for the first time
will be using BRITU on the ribs
good eating everybody and have a safe and happy Fourth /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Picked up 6 monster briskets this afternoon. The total weight was 88 lbs for the six, so some were real big. Don't know where the packing plant found beef this big. All are primes, dark burgandy color meat. Thought I would do an overnight with two but after sizing up situation realized I have to cut off about 6-7 inches from the monster to get it into the WSM. Didn't want to waste this much meat so I rubbed the chunk with mustard and rub and put it on the bottom. Put on at 10:00pm, full load of Kingsford and some mesquite, will check it before coffee in the morning. Have a slab of spares that will go on about noon if everything works out.

Had to get another WSM today since Ryan took mine and his along with the Klose mobile to Imperial Beach. Had a thermo in stock, picked up another brinkman charcoal pan at local BBQ store and burned it off during after work beer time. First cook on the new WSM.

Cuban style pork butt
Brisket
Spare Ribs
Chicken
Burgers

Shooting off Black Powder Guns without the lead /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

5:30 am, refilled water pan, 200 degrees lid temp, 168 internal, went back to bed. 8:00am
175 internal 240 degrees lid temp (opened up vents more at 5:30am) 10:00am 188 internal,
running a little hot (virgin cook on WSM) going to take this baby off and wrap in foil and towels for a couple of hours. Going to be a great 4th.

SUCCESS!!

my 3 racks of baby backs and 2 beer can chickens were a major hit. I have now been recruited to smoke ribs at my brother in laws Christmas Eve bash.

How can I maximize the amount of ribs I can fit on my WSM? Man, I love that cooker!!!

Cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken Wilkens:
[qb]How can I maximize the amount of ribs I can fit on my WSM? Man, I love that cooker!!![/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ken,

Read Steve Wilson's Night of one hundred and nine slabs... to see how to cook 14 slabs on your WSM at one time - a great method and a great story to read!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back