we're off

mike sr

First cook, 2 racks st louis , mix of pecan and apple chunks , bought a bag of royal oak lump last night , trying the fuse method , also had some chicken legs in the freezer , put them in also for the heck of it! Now for a cold beer!

Good luck and let us know how it went. If possible, post pictures. The guys here love that

Butts are in the cooler resting, Cornell Chicken and ABT's on now. How did you make out Mike? I think I'll do ribs next.

Last edited:
Well my first attempt and I'd give them a 5/10 . My selection of rub was not too good, I tried something new when I should have kept it simple. I probably could have cut back on the smoke too, it wasn't bitter , but honestly the rub overpowered everything .the consistency of the meat was decent maybe a touch overdone , I didn't foil btw! Total time on the cook was 5 hours , temp ranged from 230 down to 215 for most of the cook, at the 4 hr mark temp dropped out and I had to add more lump, I assume I didn't start out with enough , there is definitely a learning curve as compared to my pellet cooker!ill try to post up a pic in a bit

about the 3 hour mark
image_zps3cf73f7d.jpg

after 5 hours
image_zps570db974.jpg

If that is a5/10 please invite me up when you get to 10 because those look good. Don't be too tough on yourself we are always our own worst critic.

Back