Weekend is almost here! Tri Tip... maybe

Steven A

TVWBB Super Fan
I think tomorrow I'm going to go to Restaurant Depot and score some tri tips. I've never done them, so I hope they're good (if I can even get them)

I read in a Weber cookbook awhile back about cooking a tri tip as you would a brisker, i.e. low and slow in the WSM until probe-poking tender. Has anyone done this before? I suspect that it shouldn't take long to do, certainly not enough to warrant an overnight cook, given the size of a tri tip. As this will be my first experience, I will do the prudent thing, and have a back-up tri tip that I will grill until rare.

Any input on the smoking issue would be greatly appreciated!

I think I'm in the minority here but I am not a fan of low and slow tris. I do mine indirect, red oak with a reverse sear. For my taste, this is preferred method. Many do like low and slow tris though. Do both and see which side you land on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
I think I'm in the minority here but I am not a fan of low and slow tris. I do mine indirect, red oak with a reverse sear. For my taste, this is preferred method. Many do like low and slow tris though. Do both and see which side you land on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here. Can't beat a lightly smoked, reverse-seared TT in my book.

Well, I picked up an 18 lb. or so cryovac of TT. What to do, what to do? They look bigger than I thought they would be. Once they're out of the package, and I can see the size, I'll decide if I'm making 1 or 2. Just me and the wife and kids, so I think that 2 is going to be a bit much.

Back