Weber Starter Cube Question

Darren, you got the cheap English version. :D I light a full chimney using one cube in 15-20 minutes and I place the cube on the charcoal grate of my grill.

I've never been a fan of the Weber starter cubes. They're expensive and they don't burn for very long. I really like these:

file_84_7.jpg

I get them at Fresh Market, for something like $5.99 for a bag of 72. One of these burns a long time, and it burns hot. Enough to get a full chimney going in 15 minutes. And at less than half the unit cost of the Weber starters, it's a good deal.

Darren, you got the cheap English version. :D I light a full chimney using one cube in 15-20 minutes and I place the cube on the charcoal grate of my grill.

LOL would not surprise me!!!! I do the same off the charcoal grate, must be our poor weather than we get on this small island lol

First post after long time lurking, I bought these cubes today and they worked well tonight! Used only one and worked as advertised.

I have never needed more than one cube to light a chimney, and I've even played around with slicing the cube in half and it still worked. With damp or poor quality charcoal/lump, YMMV.

I've never been a fan of the Weber starter cubes. They're expensive and they don't burn for very long. I really like these:

file_84_7.jpg

I get them at Fresh Market, for something like $5.99 for a bag of 72. One of these burns a long time, and it burns hot. Enough to get a full chimney going in 15 minutes. And at less than half the unit cost of the Weber starters, it's a good deal.

Fresh Market isn't the most convenient normally, but looks like I just found a reason to stop by one soon. Especially since i'm fresh out of starter cubes.

Interesting thread as I've been using the cubes for a couple years. I generally only use one. As I only have a Smokey Joe and a smaller chimney starter, I have sometimes tried cutting a cube in half with varying results. It works but is generally more prone to wind gusts. I find they are usually pretty cheap at Home Depot anyway, so I have since stocked up on them.

The main thing I like about the cubes is there is far less smoke than newspaper. I live in a condo apartment with a small patio facing the street and only a partial brick wall between me and my neighbor. In an effort not to produce too much smoke, I use these and I find they work well. They also burn most consistently. They are also safer to handle.

I do another trick in tandem where I put a single layer of Match-Light (or equivalent) instant-light briquettes at the bottom of the chimney so they light first and faster. I fill the remainder of the chimney with regular briquettes and/or lump, including unburned coals sifted out & recovered from from my previous grill session.

I have also tried the Tumbleweeds Firestarters; they produce too much smoke for home use, and have a lot of splinters. I used one outdoors at a park and splintered my fingers, and haven't really used them since.

Interesting thread as I've been using the cubes for a couple years. I generally only use one. As I only have a Smokey Joe and a smaller chimney starter, I have sometimes tried cutting a cube in half with varying results. It works but is generally more prone to wind gusts. I find they are usually pretty cheap at Home Depot anyway, so I have since stocked up on them.

The main thing I like about the cubes is there is far less smoke than newspaper. I live in a condo apartment with a small patio facing the street and only a partial brick wall between me and my neighbor. In an effort not to produce too much smoke, I use these and I find they work well. They also burn most consistently. They are also safer to handle.

I do another trick in tandem where I put a single layer of Match-Light (or equivalent) instant-light briquettes at the bottom of the chimney so they light first and faster. I fill the remainder of the chimney with regular briquettes and/or lump, including unburned coals sifted out & recovered from from my previous grill session.

I have also tried the Tumbleweeds Firestarters; they produce too much smoke for home use, and have a lot of splinters. I used one outdoors at a park and splintered my fingers, and haven't really used them since.

This is kind of brilliant, actually.

I typically use 1 cube, but if I'm in a hurry to get going I'll use 2.

I used to use newspaper all the time but was tired of not having the coals catch 50% of the time (for me, anyways) and dealing with flyaway ash/embers/etc. I bought the cubes on a whim and was hooked the first time I tried them.

I use one cube and have never had a problem. My only annoyance with them is that you get small particles of the cubes everywhere whenever you take one out, its kind of a mess. I also basically just throw them in an order on Amazon ($3) whenever I'm just short of getting free shipping for another purchase.

I never use the starter cubes. I have a WSM 18.5" and always start my coals with about 15 briquettes in the chimney and two pieces of paper towel sprayed with non-stick spray. This has worked in cold, warm, rainy, dry and snowy weather. Yes, I get a little ash on the bottom of the chimney, but I put it in the garden and mix it with the dirt. It's just carbon.

To each their own.....

I never use the starter cubes......

I don't use starter cubes either. I use a few sheets of toilet paper soaked with maybe 1/2oz of 91% isopropyl alcohol on top of an inverted sardine can. Under 3 bucks for a quart....+or- 64 burns plus having an antiseptic around.

Last edited:

Back