Weber Q1200 maintenance and clean grates

Misha

I just got the thing and very excited about it 🙃 Have a few questions.
Is it safe to use metal wire brush to clean grates on Q1200? If I got it right, grates are enamel covered, so I was wondering if I can use my wire brush that I use to clean grates on a bigger 22" brother. Obviously don't wanna damage the enamel coating.
Do I have to remove the 1lb propane can every time after use or may keep it on the grill? Asking for safety reasons as well as for budget, does it normally loose pressure when on?

Other suggestions for newbie are highly appreciated, as I basically never cooked on a gas grill.

Last edited:
I use the Libman brass grill brush. They work great on all grills. No trouble with the porcelain coating on the Q, or my pellet grills which both have porcelain coated grates and clean up just fine

No, you do not need to remove the 1lb bottle every time you get done using the grill. I wouldn't remove it unless you are moving it around.

I just got the thing and very excited about it 🙃 Have a few questions.
Is it safe to use metal wire brush to clean grates on Q1200? If I got it right, grates are enamel covered, so I was wondering if I can use my wire brush that I use to clean grates on a bigger 22" brother. Obviously don't wanna damage the enamel coating.
Do I have to remove the 1lb propane can every time after use or may keep it on the grill? Asking for safety reasons as well as for budget, does it normally loose pressure when on?

Other suggestions for newbie are highly appreciated, as I basically never cooked on a gas

There is no shutoff valve on the 1lb tank. You could accidentally open the control valve and have propane leak out.

Probably better to remove the 1lb tank when not in use to preserve your propane for cooking

Just like any other gas appliance, the valves are designed to completely shut off the flow of gas. Think kitchen gas stove. Think NG hookup on a grill.

Thanks everyone. I will try to keep my 1lb can hooked up to grill and see how it holds, as I do not have plans to move it around, this is my pretty much permanent setup for apartment where I live. Possibly may take it with me sometime spring/summer/fall time for vacay or camping, but nothing too often, as I prefer using charcoal when possible.

Any tricks/hacks for newbie? I am gonna have my NY strip steak first time on Q for tomorrow dinner. Thanks everyone.

The 1200 is a nice little searing machine. I've had one for several years and really love it.

If you are looking for a good folding cart, there are now several on Amazon that you can get.

Each one has their own little differences... some have side tables, while others have front tables, etc.

While the 1200 is a great grill for high heat searing, it's not great for indirect but you can do it if you get a quarter sheet pan with a rack like this:

And, of course my main tip is get a 20lb propane tank and one of these:

The 1200 is a nice little searing machine. I've had one for several years and really love it.

If you are looking for a good folding cart, there are now several on Amazon that you can get.

Each one has their own little differences... some have side tables, while others have front tables, etc.

While the 1200 is a great grill for high heat searing, it's not great for indirect but you can do it if you get a quarter sheet pan with a rack like this:

And, of course my main tip is get a 20lb propane tank and one of these:

Thanks for recommendations!
I don't need a cart as I've already got a $5 little desk/table from marketplace with 24x18 top, and Q1200 sits perfectly on it. I also placed same size silicon mat off of Amazon for $15 on it so now grill sits super firm and won't be sliding and washing it will be super easy.
I already got a hose for hooking up a 20lb tank but going to use 1lb propane cans for now due to restrictions at the place I live.
Also already got this pan/rack bundle 12.5"x10" size off of Amazon for $13.50 and it seems really good quality, feels heavy and stainless steel: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BTHDGDZ?tag=tvwb-20
My really question now is if I need to drill a holes in that pan or use it as it is without holes? I've seen people poking holes even if they use just a foil instead of tray, is it that necessary? I plan to make some nice pork ribs on it, spatchcock chicken, whole trout and definitely something else I haven't think about yet. Also those original Weber trays has a lot of holes in it.

Last edited:
I believe the holes in the pan would be to allow juices to drain off as it cooks. Since that setup has the raised trivet in it, it would keep your meat up and out of the juices making the drain holes unnecessary.
The weber trays are more used for veggies and small pieces of meat such as a stir fry. You probably wouldn't cook a chicken or ribs in it.

I believe the holes in the pan would be to allow juices to drain off as it cooks. Since that setup has the raised trivet in it, it would keep your meat up and out of the juices making the drain holes unnecessary.
The weber trays are more used for veggies and small pieces of meat such as a stir fry. You probably wouldn't cook a chicken or ribs in it.
I am wondering if someone actually did compare results or not. I understand that holes in a drip pan is for all juices to drain into the grill and off of it, but I wonder if there are no holes, wouldn't it just evaporate as Qs have pretty big holes on the sides, this is not an airtight rice cooker. Same, I am just guessing, but trying to hear real opinions of those of you who uses roasting racks on your Qs. Any differences with or without holes?

I am gonna try making some baby back ribs tomorrow as those are already dry brined and it'll be exactly 24 hrs brine time tomorrow when those will get to the roasting rack. I am planning to give them a 1 hr of low temp cook, wrap in foil for another 30 mins and then brush with bbq sauce for 5-10 mins at the end. Am I missing anything? Not gonna make holes in that beautiful pan for now and will see how it goes. Will keep you posted.

Making ribs went really well with this pan/rack set. 1hr open, 30 mins wrapped in foil and 10 mins back on a rack opened and basted with bbq sauce. All on preheated grill and cooked on lowest temp setting. Probably need to make it longer wrapped to get more "fall of the bone" effect, as these were pretty much "bite" ribs, but delicious.
Washing pan was a bit pain in the ***, but overall great experience, will cook again.

Attachments

• 20240117_191629.jpg
    20240117_191629.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240117_191757.jpg
    20240117_191757.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240117_192001.jpg
    20240117_192001.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 8
Not my idea, saw that on a YouTube, few guys doing that. Weber had that rack and disposable trays, but they ended up selling those, at least in US.

And yes, these were tasting awesome.

Yeah, there is a guy on YT who does all kind of stuff IIRC he calls himself the "Fire Escape" cook or some such thing. And he does all kind of experimentation and different cooks on a little Q. Pretty darn fun to watch.

Back