Weber Q1200 flame too high

Natasha T

Hello. Newbie here. I purchased a Q1200 second hand. It came with a couple of 5 lb tanks and hose. I gave it a good cleaning, fired it up and discovered the dreaded low flame. I removed the regulator attached. I purchased a hose with the regulator at the tank end. I got 3 piece hardware fitting set up. Now all I get is high flame. And when I ignite (when the igniter works) it’s like fire ball. Is this because I took off the regulator at the unit? Is there a fix for this?

There is a CORRECT way to remove the built in regulator on the little Q grills and use it with a large tank just like the Q3XXX series grills. IDK where the thread is (I think Bruce made it), I've done it before even this forum myself but another story. Not sure if Bruce will see this (or whoever was kind enough to write it up) and maybe put a link for you and perhaps Chris can make it a sticky for the Q section. The smaller Q grills have so much trouble with the regulator using them with larger tanks it should be a sticky

Y
There is a CORRECT way to remove the built in regulator on the little Q grills and use it with a large tank just like the Q3XXX series grills. IDK where the thread is (I think Bruce made it), I've done it before even this forum myself but another story. Not sure if Bruce will see this (or whoever was kind enough to write it up) and maybe put a link for you and perhaps Chris can make it a sticky for the Q section. The smaller Q grills have so much trouble with the regulator using them with larger tanks it should be a sticky
Thanks. I followed the instructions from another post on this forum. Same instructions by a few people on YouTube. 3 different fittings hex, coupling etc.

Y

Thanks. I followed the instructions from another post on this forum. Same instructions by a few people on YouTube. 3 different fittings hex, coupling etc.
So the fact you have a fireball says while you may think you followed instructions, you likely did not or you followed bad instructions (though because Chris is pretty careful about "instructions" in these boards I doubt it was bad instructions here). Another distinct possibilty is you may have installed a high pressure regulator. These are regulators meant to run well above 1PSI or pressure. A "normal" appliance LP regulator is meant to run 11 INCHES of water column which is meant to run WELL under .5 PSI (about .35 to be exact). IOW nearly impossible to measure without a WC gauge.
Understand not trying to be negative here. But, gaseous (well any) fuels are not meant to be messed with by the unititiated. It's dangerous almost deadly business with severe consequences.
So perhaps take this as a learning experience, put it back the way it was or simply buy the new and correct parts from Weber to have the unit function as designed.

Natasha: I had that same issue when I converted my Q. It was a hose/regulator that was was rated for too much pressure. You need a low pressure hose. I thought mine was but it was not. It actually melted the frame on my Q after I left it on accidentally over night.

Hi Bruce! Thanks for the response. I thought I had a low pressure hose. Looking back on the product reviews, Most of the 1 star reviews are having the same problem of too much heat.

Exactly.
When I converted my Q and it burned hot, I thought it was just the way it was. But after I saw some reviews mentioning the problem, I put it (regulator) on a regular Genesis gas grill just to verify and sure enough, it maxed that out too pretty quick. I expect some people like that as you can heat up your grill quick and do some great searing, but you won't be able to do any low and slow cooking and bottom line, it is really dangerous. If you leave your grill on HIGH too long, you are asking for trouble....big trouble.

Stay away from any LP refulator showing 1 psi. That is almost 3X higher than it shold be. There are some really horsepoop regulators being sold and you gotta be REALLY careful

Back