Weber must be listening and reading

Purchased a 22.5" from Cabelas here in Phoenix on Saturday and no grommet. Just drilled holes and ran some running thread like I did on my 18". Would have been nice, but not a deal breaker for me.

I got mine last Wednesday from Amazon, and it's there! I didn't know it was something new until I posted about it. LOL
Here's a picture of it on the 18.5
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

This picture is a tad dark, but you can see where the grommet is located between the two cooking surfaces.
I have a Maverick, and an old analog instant read, I'm thinking of pushing the instant read into the small hole, and using the other for the two Maverick probes. If I do this the instant read will give me the cooker temp, then I could use both Maverick probes to keep track of the temp in the two pork butts.

Mark, what Amazon link did you order your WSM from? I want to order a 18.5 as well but want one with the new grommet.

Thanks,
Ryan

I got mine last Wednesday from Amazon, and it's there! I didn't know it was something new until I posted about it. LOL
Here's a picture of it on the 18.5
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

This picture is a tad dark, but you can see where the grommet is located between the two cooking surfaces.
I have a Maverick, and an old analog instant read, I'm thinking of pushing the instant read into the small hole, and using the other for the two Maverick probes. If I do this the instant read will give me the cooker temp, then I could use both Maverick probes to keep track of the temp in the two pork butts.

Just received my 18.5 from Amazon today. It does not have the grommet, very disappointed. I've been waiting for for months to get confirmation that someone got the new model from Amazon, which I got from a post from this thread. Apparently Amazon still have a mixed of old and new inventory. Should I return it to Amazon or call Weber to see I could get the new middle section?

I got my WSM in today from Amazon and like Marc, it was the 2013 model with no grommet. Oh well. I can just purchase the pass through probe holes like everyone else. I have been wanting a WSM so I purchased one. It would have been nice to get the new model but it is not a deal breaker for me. I look forward to using it this weekend cooking some chickens.

After reading all of the advantages if the notch mod, I wouldn't worry much about the grommet. Although the lower grill handles would be nice.

I got my WSM in today from Amazon and like Marc, it was the 2013 model with no grommet. Oh well. I can just purchase the pass through probe holes like everyone else. I have been wanting a WSM so I purchased one. It would have been nice to get the new model but it is not a deal breaker for me. I look forward to using it this weekend cooking some chickens.

I returned the 2013 model and asked Amazon customer services to check and see if they have new inventory somewhere. It turned out that inventory from Plainfield IN is new and the ones in Goodyear AZ were old. Amazon shipped the new one to me overnight and I just got it and they were indeed the 2014 model. I don't know if you could specify which warehouse you could get your stuff from, but that is where the new 2014 model is at.

Back