weber kettle capacity

TEisenhauer

Hello all, its been a while since I've posted anything. Just a little background, I have a 22.5 Weber OTS and had many successful smokes on it. I am just about to pulll the trigger on a WSM 22, but until then here is my question. I picked up a two-pack of butts from Sam's today, total weight = 17lbs. Do you guys think it is possible to fit both butts on the weber kettle? I am using the snake/fuse method. If i can fit both on there i will probably vacuum seal and freeze some of it. If not then I will freeze the other butt until next time. Thanks in advance for your responses.

TEisenhauer;
I have done a number of Boston Butts successfully on my 22.5" OTG but have only done one at a time. I foil after the bark is set (165-170 degrees internal temperature) in a foil pan. I use the "two brick" method of building a fire using the Minion Method on the OTG (this all before I got my smokers). Using one butt, I never had to add coals. Here is my set up:

There is room for two butts, but you'll have to wrap them in aluminum foil (if you wrap) instead of a pan - there may not be room enough for two pans. You can easily check that while the grill is cold. Just put the two fire bricks in, blocking off about 1/3rd of the bottom and see if you can get two pans on the food grate while clearing the bricks. That particular Butt in my photo is 8+ lbs.

The reason I suggest the "brick" set up - two butts will require twice as much heat to cook. You may have difficulty getting enough heat over a long enough time to do two butts. Keep in mind, you can do a high heat cook to cut down on the time frame (300+).

Good luck and show us how it comes out for you.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

ditto California tony. or... excuse to get another kettle. i have 9 of them, and i started out normal too - with just one hehehe.

don't lift the lid...

Back