Weber is bringing back the 1880 – 14.5″ Mini Smoker

The idea of a SJ conversion kit from George L. is a better solution. They would sell tons of them if
they price it right. Who doesn't have a Smokey Joe to convert?

"Who doesn't have a Smokey Joe to convert?"

Me ! :(

Bob, Your comment brought a smile to my face. Heaven knows, I'm a Weber Wife! I've loved and hugged my 18" WSM since August of 1987, probably longer than most of our members, and have gotten tons of deliciousness from it. Life gets in the way. If I had the time to put into making a conversion of the Smokey Joe, I probably would do it, but sadly I don't own one. Heresy, I know, and I feel a twinge of guilt! I ought to check on the details of the conversion to see if it would be easier and more cost-effective for me than to buy a new 1880-style, if it is truly in the works. A smaller smoker, depending on its capacity, might be just the trick for me at this point. Thanks for bringing the conversion idea to my attention.

Rita

Last edited:
I just stumbled across this schematic on the Weber site while looking for a schematic for the 18.5 WSM I just purchased. I searched for Charcoal>Specialty Products, and this 14" WSM (2014) showed up in the results.

Well, there's your confirmation, everyone! Good find, Matt!

Two observations: No heat shield under the charcoal bowl, and the addition of Part #14 "Grease Tray".

There's also a schematic for something called "18.5" SMOKEY MOUNTAIN COOKER W/BLACK HANDLE, BLACK, JOHN DEERE". Wonder what that is?

Two observations: No heat shield under the charcoal bowl, and the addition of Part #14 "Grease Tray".

There's also a schematic for something called "18.5" SMOKEY MOUNTAIN COOKER W/BLACK HANDLE, BLACK, JOHN DEERE". Wonder what that is?

Very exciting!

Doin the happy dance!

I've been doing so much reading about how to build a mini WSM and I was set on getting started on it very soon. Now I debating on whether or not to wait for the 14.5 to come out instead....

Amazon delivered today... before the originally published date. Under promised and over delivered as Chris says. My son now has my mini and this will take its place in the RV.

null_zpsa9832cee.jpg

null_zps3e88116d.jpg

The 18" Jumbo Joe is in the RV but here's the new little man next to the other two.

null_zpsd074dbcd.jpg

Dwain did you have a hard time fitting the silicone grommet into the 14.5? I just received mine today but can't seem to get that part to fit, it seems to be big for the cut out.

Dwain did you have a hard time fitting the silicone grommet into the 14.5? I just received mine today but can't seem to get that part to fit, it seems to be big for the cut out.

14grommet3_zpsd025a62d.jpg

It took me some effort to get the grommet into the hole, too. Don't be afraid to man-handle it. :)

14grommet3_zpsd025a62d.jpg

It took me some effort to get the grommet into the hole, too. Don't be afraid to man-handle it. :)

I agree. I got one side in like Chris' photo there and kinda worked it around. It didn't go at first but I persuaded it. :)

Another interesting part was how tight the cover fits. The two elastic bands are definitely more noticeable than on my other two covers.

Last edited:

Back