Water pan repair

Bruce Fairchild

I'm using a Brinkman water pan in my WSM and have found 4 or 5 pin holes in it, caused by a ding that removed the enamel/paint and then rusted through. Can these be repaired? I'm thinking of using epoxy, expoy paint or even a sheet metal screw in each pin hole.
After reading the thread on using an empty foiled pan, I'm thinking of doing that.
What are your thoughts?

I definately wouldn't trust any kind of epoxy or sealer, seeing as how it's right over the coals. I'm gonna be trying the empty pan for the first time, so that's a good option. Or just get a new one, IIRC they're only a few bucks.

I just have to post on this. If you have some then use it, JB Liquid Weld. If you don't have any then the stuff will cost you more than a new water pan.
icon_wink.gif

I don't think I'd trust JB weld on the water pan, as it's only good to 300 some degrees if I remember correctly. It's basically an epoxy, and I wouldn't want that directly over the coals. Although it is great for a plethora of other repairs!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T.J. Balcerak:
I don't think I'd trust JB weld on the water pan, as it's only good to 300 some degrees if I remember correctly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From the J-B Weld web site.
icon_smile.gif

"Mechanics -- you can use J-B WELD with confidence. It is designed for safe, reliable, permanent repairs in engine compartments and heated environments up to 500° F. It's strong as steel and impervious to water, gasoline, chemicals, and acids. Working with J-B WELD is quick, easy, and convenient -- and saves you time, work, and money!"

Resurrecting a dead thread because I never heard a resolution and after 10 years I have the same issue with my water pan. I’m going to try the JB weld solution and report back unless someone already has?

Seems pretty scary to me. I don't think I'd mix epoxy, heat & food. If anything, I'd do a dry run (or 5!) before attempting with food. Are water pans that expensive - serious question - I don't own a wsm...

I've not heard of anyone using J-B Weld to fix a Brinkmann water pan. If you give it a try, I'd suggest using the Extreme Heat version which can withstand sustained temps of 2400*F (the regular High Heat product is only good to 450*F) then cover with foil during use.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IBOBY74/?tag=tvwb-20

Or you can invest in a replacement pan like this:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B06XYJ55PQ/tvwb-20

As cheap as a stainless bowl is I don't think I would use epoxy, there will be a lot of heat there and dissimilar materials your trying to bound together, in the end its your choice to try it, good luck

I would not use any fourm of epoxy or synthetic material in a BBQ,Smoker around food not smart. For a repair for about the price of JB Weld take to a shop and have the holes welded no contamination grind and repaint with high heat paint.
Or as stated above foil and fill with sand ,or I use a 15 inch terracotta plant pot water saucer. Great heat sink or a pizza pan.

Back