water pan in 18.5

Trevor McCall

TVWBB Member
I just watched a video under cooking topics they said to use 1 gallon of water in the water pan is this right it seems like my 18.5 would hold more water than that I have been filling it most of the way up

The new models have much larger water pans. The Pre-2009 18" was about 1 gal, the new 18" is about 2 gal (the 22" is about 3 gal).

1 gal would probably still be enough depending on how long you quesstimate the cook will take.

If you add more water, it'll take longer to come up to temp.

As you gain more experience, and your WSM gets some 'seasoning', you will find the temps much easier to control.
Yesterday,I cooked a full slab o' pork ribs...a 7 hour cook at 230 - 240.
Started with some hickory chunks buried in a loosely packed ring of Stubbs briqs cold, and about 12 briqs started and on the top.
The point of this is that I use a clay saucer in the pan, NOT water, and was still able to control temps easily.
Your cooker will work fine with water, no water, or any other combination.
I was amazed to see this morning that about a third of the briqs aren't even ashed.

Trevor,

I would recommend ditching the water and switching to a clay saucer. Not only do you minimize cleanup, but the clay acts as a better and more stable heat sink. Remember that the water does not add moisture to your cook, it only acts as a stabilizer for heat. If you are planning on doing any overnight cooks, the saucer is also the better choice. Hope this helps.

I think I'll give the clay saucer a try on my next long (>4 hours) cook. Do you place the saucer right side up or upside down in the pan (probably doesn't matter I guess)? Do you still foil the water pan and leave the saucer uncovered? Do you cover the pan and the saucer? Do you cover the saucer only and leave the pan uncovered?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MattW:
...the clay acts as a better and more stable heat sink. Remember that the water does not add moisture to your cook, it only acts as a stabilizer for heat. If you are planning on doing any overnight cooks, the saucer is also the better choice... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't notice any difference in the bark of ribs cooked either with water or not in the pan? You don't notice steam coming out of the dome when using water? You really find that the cooker isn't as sensitive to vent settings and goes longer unattended with a clay pan instead of water?

Whatever WORKS for YOU is fine, but a guy on ANOTHER forum made all these claims and then admitted he'd never tried water in the pan...just sayin'...
icon_rolleyes.gif

I use water in the pan all the time. Temps are easy to control,so what if i have to clean and scrub the water pan after every use.That does not bother me, I enjoy using my wsm.
icon_smile.gif

So if I understand this about clay saucers, they allow you to get up to temperature faster? Does this mean it's also easier to get the smoker hotter for poultry too?

I've only used water pan on pork for low and slow. But one time I tried chicken and it didn't get hot enough and tasted rubbery.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry DeRuyter:
So if I understand this about clay saucers, they allow you to get up to temperature faster? Does this mean it's also easier to get the smoker hotter for poultry too?

I've only used water pan on pork for low and slow. But one time I tried chicken and it didn't get hot enough and tasted rubbery. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Terry, If you go to the tvwbb home page and click on the cooking topics tab, you should be able to find what your looking for.
icon_wink.gif

To make sure I understand correctly, you foil the clay saucer and put it inside the water pan, also foiled, or do you replace the water pan with the clay saucer wrapped in foil?

Back