Water Pan for 18.5 WSM-- Weber Or Brinkman ?

Rob M

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello
I wanted to know what your preference is on water pans. Weber of Brinkman? I called Weber C.S. (because they do not show replacement parts online for the WSM) and they gave me a part #63024 $22.80 for the 18.5 water pan and he did not ask the year of WSM. He said they only have one water pan for the 18.5 WSM. He could not tell me how much water it holds. My question is I need to replace the Brinkman water pan I have as it is about to spring a leak in a rusty spot it has developed showing on the inside and out. I bought it long ago and it has served me well. I bought it years ago because as we know the old Weber pans did not hold enough water and the Brinkman held much more. The Brinkman site which shows the replacement water pan for their smoker holds 4 quarts / 1 gallon and is $12.95 but with shipping is almost $24 Does anyone know how much water the Weber pan holds? Will the new designed water pan fit my old WSM? What would you buy and why? Thanks !

As Dan indicates, we always used the Brinkmann charcoal pan as a replacement water pan in the 18.5" WSM. It holds almost 2 gallons.

The new, deeper water pan that's been part of the 18.5" WSM since Fall 2008 also holds 2 gallons. It will fit older WSMs.

The part number for the old pan was 861701. It held 1 gallon.

I agree that the Brinkmann pan is a good replacement for the original pan and definitely cheaper than either of the Weber pans. However, it won't last forever.

Regards,
Chris

I have the Brinkmann pan. I bought it after my first smoke with my 2010 18.5" WSM went a little bit sideways in part because of the stock water pan. Since then I have had no issues and I have even found a use for the stock WSM pan - I use it as sort of a "dome" when I have meats sitting out at room temp. The Brinkmann pan holds almost the same amount of water but because it is shaped more like a pan as opposed to a bowl it doesn't interfere with your coals as much. I foil mine both inside and out and change the foil every few cooks. 2 years in and haven't had any issues yet.

Thanks for the info gentlemen! It was so long ago that I ordered the water pan for my WSM I think it was the Brinkman charcoal pan after your feedback and looking at the dimensions. I have a new one on the way.

My brinkmann pan from 2005 finally got a pinhole in the bottom a few months back. I replaced it with two brinkmanns from my local Academy Sports since they were $7 each. Might take a while before it burns through two of them...
icon_wink.gif

Back