Water or other liquid in the pan?

Phil W

Hi all! Long time reader, first time poster! I'm in charge of the family bird this year and don't want to mess it up so my question is do you guys use your water pan while smoking your turkey? I have a 21 pounder that I plan to Brine beforehand and vertically smoke with a stand on my 18.5 WSM. If you do use your pan, do you just use water? I'm tempted to use apple juice or maybe chicken stock. Thoughts?

Hi Phil - when I make turkey on the WSM, I do so at higher heat (350 to 360). This helps crisp the skin. The only way I can get the smoker that hot is to not use any water in the pan. In fact, I foil the pan across the top and catch the drippings for gravy. Good luck!

Is recommend a 8" clay saucer in your pan and then foil the top to keep it clean. You'll get your 300 you need and it'll be stable to maintain

Thanks for the reply fellas! No water in the pan it is. I will also look into catching the drippings for gravy! I'm a little intimidated about doing a bird this big. Also it will be my first upright cook, not counting beer can chickens! I'm thinking about brining and then doing a cajun rub. Any ideas or other tricks you guys have to make it come out well?

If you brine with flavor like apple juice or herbs I don't think using juice in the water pan will add anything. I have always used play sand instead of water as a heat sink. Heat plus water equals steam to me.

I am 2 monthss into owning my 22 WSM. I retired my COS. I had never done turkey until 2 wks ago. I used Meatheads Ultimate turkey recipe. The gravy has a ton of liquid in it. The gravy acts as water pan. I had tough time getting 350 as a result. Fought thru it but took 4 hours to cook. Outstanding groceries once it got there. Wife took the leftover gravy and meat and made a killer stew.

Thanks for the tips! After reading the all about brine topic, it said to let the turkey air dry after brining so the skin gets crispier if you are cooking the bird "low n slow." Do I still need to let the turkey air dry after brining if I am doing a high temp cook?

I would let it air dry regardless. It can be difficult to get crisp skin in the WSM even at high temps so every bit helps. When i did my turkey last year i injected and rubbed it the night then let it sit in the fridge uncovered Overnight

Thanks for the tips! After reading the all about brine topic, it said to let the turkey air dry after brining so the skin gets crispier if you are cooking the bird "low n slow." Do I still need to let the turkey air dry after brining if I am doing a high temp cook?
I do, I find even at high heat I have difficulty getting crispy skin if I go from brine to cooker.

Before the big day, are you planning on doing a test bird? I would give it a try on maybe a small turkey so you can see what works. Turkey on Thanksgiving is the center piece, don't want to fudge it up.

Welcome Phil! I do my turkey in the kettle, horizontal, drip pan under the bird for dripping for gravy, charcoal on each rail.
Somewhere around 325-350 for good skin, and apple wood is great flavor with the bird. No brine needed if you pay attention
and don't overcook it. Enjoy.

I have a hard time getting my WSM over 325* if I leave the water pan in at all. I'll remove it and then use a drip pan on the lower shelf.

Thanks for the replies! I will take all the advice provided and use what I can to make sure this bird comes out right! Walt I don't think I will have the time to do a test bird. I just lost an Aunt to cancer last week so my days leading up to T day will kind of be tied up. I'll try to post up pictures of the cook and let everyone know how it went. Thanks again for all the info!

For crispy skin rub a dried off bird down with vegetable oil and then either salt & pepper, or a mild rub suitable for fowl. Smoke away.

I have a hard time getting my WSM over 325* if I leave the water pan in at all. I'll remove it and then use a drip pan on the lower shelf.

I'd think with the drip pan on the lower grate, without the water pan to shield it, would burn up the drippings. If you nested a shallower foil pan inside of the deeper one (with the same length & width), then you'd have some kind of air gap there to minimize burning. This is all in theory, though.

For crispy skin rub a dried off bird down with vegetable oil and then either salt & pepper, or a mild rub suitable for fowl. Smoke away.

+1. I like to brine, dry in the fridge overnight, rub with oil, fill cavity with orange, onion, herbs, etc, smoke/roast in the 350*F range with an empty pan (no fluid or clay saucer).

Even with an empty water pan, all that cold turkey sucks the heat out of the cooker so I slip a skewer between the lid and center section to create a bigger chimney to get my heat where I want it.

81AB21BF-9C35-44CD-A8A2-E10AFA692E69_zpssb1r4gc7.jpg

Last edited:

Back