Wagyu (Kobe) Brisket Cook Time?

Bryan Rice

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi All,

I have two Wagyu (Kobe-esque) beef briskets. The woman at the farm I talked mentioned that they would cook a bit quicker than a normal brisket "because of the marbling".

Can anyone comment on that? Are there any other special considerations for me when dealing with these briskets? How much different would they cook than C.A.B. brisket? I cooked many C.A.B. briskets at Burning Man, but they didn't seem to cook that much quicker to me.

I am very excited to see how they turn out. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cooking 2 Kobes Monday for a catering they finished just under 8 hours(in cooker time), wrapped and into the dry cooler for 6 hours. I really liked the texture and moisture levels. These were a 12 and 13 pound packers cut.
Jim

Thanks for the tips!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Minion:
they finished just under 8 hours(in cooker time) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim - Did you use a super low temp with them as well? Is this standard? That is about half the time in the smoker I have been experiencing with my regular briskets. Do you still foil them at 170? I have not been foiling my briskets at all until I pull them to rest.

Thanks!

Bryan
No foil, only use competing when running out of time. This cook averaged about 225. We are cooking Kobes about 4 to 6 times a month for catering so I have been playing with pit temps to get a better knowledge base. This cook the briskets were taken off at 190 to 193 internal, wrapped in foil and went into a cambro for 7 hours. They were at 160 internal when we sliced them, very moist, great texture.

It's getting hard to get customer to switch to something other than brisket. Just picked up a catering for 100. An autobody shop is inviting adjusters and dealership personel for lunch.
Jim

Hi Jim,

I just wanted to let you know the Kobe brikset came out very well and got me a 5th place call at the Oinktoberfest competition this past weekend. I just wanted to post a thanks to this thread.

I am not sure why, but the brisket had almost no smoke ring, but it tasted amazing. Our taste scores were all 8s and our tenderness scores were all 9s! Unfortunately the appearance scores were all 7 with one 6. Yikes.

Anyway, I just really wanted to say thanks - I am now hooked on the Wagyu. Very tasty.

Bryan
Take the brisket straight from the cooler to the cooker and keep temps down the first few hours, should get a purple smokering.
will try to post a picture of one we cooked.

kobe brisket
Jim
PS: looks like I need to figure out how to resize the picture.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Minion:
PS: looks like I need to figure out how to resize the picture. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a tiny picture! Heh heh. How much do you trim the kobe briskets? I am paranoid about trimming too much, but I think I do not trim enough. I have never had a chance to watch another person do this, so I don't really want to screw it up.

Take the brisket straight from the cooler to the cooker and keep temps down the first few hours, should get a purple smokering. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is what is weird: I kept it in the cooler until about two hours before I put it on. I pulled it out, opened the cryovac, and applied my dry rub. I then put it back in the cooler and let it sit for about 1 hour and 45 minutes.

The smoker ran at about 190 to 210 for the first 2 hours and meat temp stayed below 120 for about three hours, and there was a large amount of smoke the whole time.

I have not been getting very good smoke rings in general lately (my pork butt had almost no smoke ring either) and I am not sure why. A couple of things I am suspicious of:

1. I started using a BBQ Guru a while back. It might be my imagination, but I feel like my smoke rings diminished around the time I started using the Guru. I even went back to using water in the pan, because I thought using no water in the pan (as they recommend) was somehow keeping the surface of the meat too dry to dissolve the nitrogen dioxide. It might be my imagination because I used the Gurus on my Magnums at Burning Man and I had no appearance issues.

2. It could be my smoke wood. When I was at Burning Man I had INCREDIBLE smoke rings on some of the briskets I made and good ones on everything, but I had cherry wood that came from Idaho. It was whole logs, that I cut up and burned with mesquite charcoal. Up until now I have been using wood chunks that I order from North Carolina and Royal Oak lump. Yes, the kind that come in plastic bags. The mesquite lump I used seemed to be much higher quality than Royal Oak. Is it possible that the wood alone could be the explanation?

3. My dry rub. I have fiddled with my dry rub over the last 1/2 year and I am not sure if there is some ingredient that I am using that might block the smoke ring. The major whole in that theory is I used my same recipe at Burning Man, and like I said, I had really deep purple rings.

I am really frustrated by this. I am trying to find a better source of cherry wood especially - but it is hard in New York City. I am sure someone knows something I don't know.

Anyway, I hope I can get these briskets looking as good as they taste - just like yours do. I need the Scooby Gang to solve the mystery.

Bryan,

I also run a Guru and have had very little in the way of a smoke ring. I think it might be the fact that the Guru gets the smoker temp up much faster than with natural draft. I think that this gets the outside surface of the meat to 140° too quickly, preventing a good ring. What do you think ??

Al

A fast temp rise can negate or lessen smokering formation, especially if the meat is warm(er) going in. I've not had a smokering problem when using a Guru but I bring the temp up relatively slowly. But even this brisket (pic), cooked at ~330 with a somewhat faster rise has a ring, though less deep than when I bring the temp up more slowly. I just did a high temp chuck cook with two small packs of pellets (one each of oak and apple) and had very deep color.

Nevertheless, a quick rise can affect the ring.

It is not likely the wood type.

Did you apply your rub early at Burning Man? There are rub elements that can affect ring formation but this is more likely if the rub is applied a while before cooking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Did you apply your rub early at Burning Man? There are rub elements that can affect ring formation but this is more likely if the rub is applied a while before cooking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For the most part I applied the rub at Burning Man within a half hour of it going onto the smoker - never had much time to let it sit.

I am going to try a couple of experiments this week and next with and without rub and with and without BBQGuru and see what I discover. I am doing two pork butts right now that rubbed and put on right away and I am not using the BBQ Guru for them. I will post a pic when they are finished.

We just scored a couple cases of midwest Prime briskets at $1.40 a pound, will be interesting to compare that product with the Kobe we have been cooking. Let you know what I find.
Jim

I just put another Kobe brisket on this morning. I am not using the BBQ guru, and I am using some cherry wood from a different place. I will post pics when it is finished.

I rubbed it and put it on the smoker right away. It sat for a while (much more than an hour) with the pit temp hovering around 120. Now it is running at about 240 fat cap down. I am trying a very hands off approach to this smoke.

I am interested to see what you discover Jim - are you going to do anything differently with the prime than you would do with the Kobe?

Where do you get a kobe brisket? I googled and found nothing.

*** Forget it... I found it on Lobel's ***

Thanks.

Back