VORTEX™ Heat Controller Baffle

I remember when the Vortex came out, I was not a fan of the price, but the kids got me one for Christmas, and I ended up liking it. Having said that, I'm not a fan of that deflector at $60 US, but that's not to say I won't leave a hint or two when Christmas comes near :)

According to Weber, the cone positions charcoal for up to 7 hours of low-and-slow cooking when used with charcoal briquettes, while the diffuser ring provides even heat across the entire grilling surface, giving you plenty of room for larger foods like ribs, pork shoulders and more.

1690553841856.png

It has a decent heft, almost 3 # and a 1/4" thick.
I just did wings with my vortex yesterday, and like Darryl, don't see a need for one yet.

Got it, so seems like it doesn't make the vortex work better or anything related but to do a totally different cook itself.
I do not currently have a need for that accessory. If it was my only cooker then I could see a need for an indirect brisket cook or something maybe.
Looks like that deflector setup on the performer with the hinged lid that may or may not exist still....Food is close to the fire but who knows.

Same same thing that Weber sells.

Weber knocked off the vortex cone for high heat indirect. But also added a diffuser plate for low/slow.

So Vortex is now knocking off the low/slow diffuser plate.

Snake around the outside of the Vortex and the deflector goes over the ring of coals.

Weber charges $100. So a vortex cone plus a vortex plate is the same price.

Unbranded knock offs are cheaper.

Back