Vintage Weber Summit - Looks Clean - Chicagoland Area

I absolutely LOVE my 1st generation WEBER;) Summit. Nothing else looks like it, and it is a joy to cook on. I will always be grateful to @LMichaels (Larry) for selling it to me.

View attachment 90675

The firebox is obviously the big issue. If you look at that one and there is enough metal left to apply my stainless reinforcements, then you should be good to go for some time. If there are huge rust holes, it could be too late.

View attachment 90676

Paul, let me know if you need the stainless reinforcements.
Jon, thanks for insight and offer of the reinforcements. I aim to view grill this weekend

I absolutely LOVE my 1st generation WEBER;) Summit. Nothing else looks like it, and it is a joy to cook on. I will always be grateful to @LMichaels (Larry) for selling it to me.

The firebox is obviously the big issue. If you look at that one and there is enough metal left to apply my stainless reinforcements, then you should be good to go for some time. If there are huge rust holes, it could be too late.

View attachment 90676

Paul, let me know if you need the stainless reinforcements.
How much for the reinforcements? Do you have them for the 6 burner ones too?

How much for the reinforcements? Do you have them for the 6 burner ones too?
$25 each, plus actual shipping for the front ones with the openings for the burners and igniter. $10 each, plus actual shipping for the plain back ones. You would need three of either for a 6-burner. I purposely designed them to do two burners at a time so they should interchange for either 4 or 6 burner grills. However, I haven’t had someone do a 6-burner yet, so we would need to be sure to get precise measurements before committing.

Post in thread '2nd Chance for a True Weber Classic: A 1998 1st Generation Summit 450'
https://tvwbb.com/threads/2nd-chanc...-1st-generation-summit-450.91652/post-1048925

Getting the ss panels to rehab that Summit.
I see, I partially stripped the grill and there is the usual rusting around the burner orifices and it has an oversized hole where one of the igniter sits. This may well benefit from the Jon's reinforcements but i will check in the morning when i complete the strip down.

One of the flavoriser bar supports brackets has a couple of bits missing but the repair that was fashioned by a previous owner is likely ok. I will replace the burner tubes, flavoriser bars, igniters x3 and try to locate a temperature gauge of the same size even if not Weber branded. I will likely start a new post to map progress.

One thing that immediately stands out is the heft of the SS shelving etc, top notch! actual schematic below.

As always, constructive advice and guidance always welcomed.

Grill stripped, only things of note pictured below. SS bar holding flav bars could do with replacing, firebox entry ports etc as expected and usable, jon’s plates maybe appropriate fix.

Bottom rail of frame needs replacing but shouldn't present too many issues. I need to try and source some new fixings that are used to fix lid and firebox, the flat head ones as some existing may need grinding.

Attachments

• IMG_0663.jpeg
    IMG_0663.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0662.jpeg
    IMG_0662.jpeg
    280.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0661.jpeg
    IMG_0661.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 19
Looks like a winner there. Yeah you will want to put those SS patches on it. When I had mine, it went from those little "bubbled" areas around the openings to gone in less than the grilling season. Really fast.

They are used on lots of older Weber grills. I think you can find them. If you can't, PM me about what you need. Some prefer to replace them with stainless screws/bolts that fit in that same opening.
Thanks Jon, i have a silver B grill that can donate but there are a lot on the summit!! I will let you know if i need any, looks likely i will need the reinforcing plates when i get around to refurbing/assembly

Thanks Jon, i have a silver B grill that can donate but there are a lot on the summit!! I will let you know if i need any, looks likely i will need the reinforcing plates when i get around to refurbing/assembly
I used stainless bolts on the bottom (firebox) where you wouldn't see them, but I used the original ones, repainted, on the endcaps just because I prefer the cleaner look. Just a preference.

Ready to paint:
Hood Bolts before paint.jpeg
End cap
Finished Side Burner.jpeg

Back