VERY small brisket, need help

APMason

TVWBB Member
First, I wasn't sure if this questions should go under recipes (I need one, don't have one) or grilling, or here at kettle grills so I'm posting it here because that is where I'll be doing my cook.

I have a very small brisket, 2.85# and I want to cook it on my kettle. I have done some searching but nothing addresses a brisket that small. It is like a half a flat. I had originally grabbed it on impulse as an item to braise but really want to try it on the grill. I have done some slow and low cooking smoking tomatoes and peppers in excess of 6 hours just to experiment with temp management. Reading some of the threads around here I see either a slow and low approach or a high heat approach. My impulse is to prep the grill to 300 for indirect. Cook until it gets bark and reaches 185. Wrap with foil and include liquid, either aj or beef stock. Keep cooking but drop temp to 250(?) then let it sit for a couple hours then check for softness and finish unwrapped for 45 mins or so. Rest for 45 min to an hour before slicing. How far off am I? Times and temps high low? I was going to use montreal steak for a rub. Any and all help is appreciated. If I should re-post elsewhere I'd be happy to do so. Thanks in advance and have a great day!

Aaron

Back