Vertical Skewer

What about this guy:

What about this guy:

For a C-note, no thank you.

Yah, that is a pretty easy fab job with a welder and some scrap SS. Just find an old SS frying pan, take off the handle and weld a 1/4" SS rod to the middle of the bottom of it. Done deal. $5.

What about this guy:

Not gonna drop that kinda coin on an accessory like that, but I'm probably headed to Trader Joe's soon for some of that chicken.

I just ordered one today when I saw they were marked down 50%. Has anyone tried one yet?

Used it yesterday. Base has some heft to it and easily balanced 5# of boneless country style ribs.
Everyone loved the al pastor!

Used it yesterday. Base has some heft to it and easily balanced 5# of boneless country style ribs.
Everyone loved the al pastor!

Did you do this on the Kettle ? If so , was it possible to rotate the skewer ( or trompo ) ?

Once you got the edge charred , did you slice it off and keep cooking ?

What about leftovers ? Able to freeze what was not eaten ?

I would love home made Al Pastor, but filling up a trompo is a lot of food for us. We would have to feed a family gathering, which we are no longer having due to covid.

I used it on the kettle with the Vortex inverted, so no reason to rotate.
I waited till the color looked good and the meat felt tender before I sliced.
Temps and time, got to me so I finished in the convection oven.
My boys took care of the leftovers, but freezing should not be a problem.

seems like that vertical rotisserie would work better if you had a big/deep charcoal basket full of hot coals sitting next to it, basically the same height as the vertical spit.... If you watch enough cooking / travel shows, more often than not they are using these types of vertical roasters to do al pastor pork or gyro meat (both are delish), and they usually have a gas fired infra red burner. Here's a link do someones short video where they replaced the gas fired burner with a homemade charcoal basket

Back