Version 2 of my homebrew controller

I know this thread is getting crowded, but i would hate to clutter up the new ones with this small update. Anyway I ended up ordering a bigger blower, because I have an offset cooker it requires more airflow than the BGE cookers you guys use. I tried a cook last week with the blower that was on the parts list, it got down to 20 degrees over night and the little blower just couldn't keep up. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep that night while I had a 30 dollar brisket on.

Anyway I ordered a 30 CFM blower and made a new mount for it today. I realized I was going about it the wrong way before and it dawned on me I could just make a new door to the firebox. It still needs some paint but here it is on the test run.

blower_mount.jpg

Oh and I scored a Linksys WRT54G V2 for 20 bucks, I was also trying to win a WRT54GS V2 but I was outbid in the last 5 seconds on ebay. I should be catching up on the wireless side of this project soon. Now we're cooking
icon_smile.gif

I have been very quiet, but have recently built and test run a heatermeter myself, and here are a bunch of photos and comments about the project.

It's based on a BlackWidow (ordered one before they shut down), and the additional circuitry was assembled on an Adafruit Arduino protoboard.

Pretty much everything has gone as expected; and here are the few variations I went from the plans that everyone is posting
- Used an IRLB8721 as the FET, as it's a bit cheaper than an IRL/IRF510. Definately should stikc with an IRL not an IRF as the L's are designed to be driven by logic level, fully on at 5v vs 12v. Adafruit have them in stock, but bought from DigiKey.
- Used a 1N4148 as the diode in the LCD controller. The 4148 is the modern (ok 30 yr old vs 50) replacement for the 1N914, and available everywhere (including my parts bins)
- Used 22k 1% resistors for the references
- Used a 74LS164 instead of an HCT164, but the local guy had LS in stock, not HCT. For this use, speed/power aren't important
- Mounted an AT45DB161 memory chip on the protoboard as the Blackwidow doesn't have one on board (vs the WiShield). 1st experience in soldering an SMT, bought a 1/64" tip for the weller to do so, but it went well.
- Used, and very happy with, an Auber blower after I made a mod to the smoker
- Maverick Probes. Would buy the 6ft probes next time.

Made a mod on the smoker (a Napolean Apollo -- much like a WSM), for a new air hole (19mm), and deflection plate (see photos). Works much better than just using an existing air hole.

I'm going to re-write the web interface soon, haven't had much chance and right now the router is too far away from the back yard to make it work well, so until I rewire the house properly...

Photos: http://www.snafu.ca/heatermeter/

Web references;

http://www.maverickhousewares....arts_and_service.htm
http://www.auberins.com/index....4_27&products_id=192
http://www.adafruit.com/

Have a couple WRT54G boxes (v4 and v1.1 hardware) in the closet somewhere if any of you modders are near Tulsa, OK. Had them running sveasoft firmware in WDS mode at a previous house, but don't need a secondary WAP in this house thanks to the uverse gateway/router. They're up for grabs.

Hi,

It's been a while since a post on this thread, and I'm not sure if the discussion has moved onto a new one.

I'm in the process of getting things sorted to start building a controller and wanted to seek a little advice / guidance from those who have gone before!

i've pretty much read through the whole 25 pages and have extracted what I think are the relevent parts.. but I'm a little unsure where to get hold of the most up-to-date version of a working sketch.

It looks like the WIFI module has been replaced with a WiFly.. and therefore the sketch may need a little more work. I'm also struggling to make sure I have all the relevant files in place to allow the code to verify and load.

Greatful if someone could ping a reply and I'll elaborate further.

Thanks

Nick

Originally posted by N Waring:
i've pretty much read through the whole 25 pages and have extracted what I think are the relevent parts.. but I'm a little unsure where to get hold of the most up-to-date version of a working sketch.

It looks like the WIFI module has been replaced with a WiFly.. and therefore the sketch may need a little more work. I'm also struggling to make sure I have all the relevant files in place to allow the code to verify and load.
Due to the WiShield not being made any longer, and the lack of the ability to do any sort of history from the device, most of the conversation has moved to the LinkMeter discussion thread. I've never tried to use a WiFly but it may be possible if it supports listen (server) mode. A quick google says that it can but I don't really see it discussed in the command reference.

In any case, the latest code and stuff is in the HeaterMeter GitHub project. It should all still work with the everything back to the first HeaterMeter version, if compiled with the right flags in hmcore.h.

Back