Vents too tight, Top grate small

Johnny

Hey,

I put my WSM 18.5 together in about 15 minutes...super easy. I inspected everything and found no defects from shipping. I did find that the top cooking grate had plenty of movement room which i found ok, but the grill can fall if its not put on there just right. To me i think weber would not make it that way. One of the four tabs that are holding the grates has a slightly smaller lip. So if the grate, which is not flat at all, moves a little to one side the whole grate could fall through.

also, two of the three bottom vents are really tough and have a light grinding noise. the other one and the top vent are smooth and operate with no noise. WD 40? shouldnt they all work smooth.

Thanks for the help.

You should call the Weber Customer Service line at 1.800.446.1071 (i have it on speed dial
icon_wink.gif
)

Johnny, Welcome to the forum. There is a modification for making the top grate tabs come in towards the center and eliminating the problem of the grate falling. I personally like having my top grate and bottom grate secured together also eliminating the falling grate syndrome. As far as the vents being hard to turn. I think that they will loosen up with time.

Mark

Yes, I would call Customer Service. The vents shouldn't be that tight and the grate should be flat.

As for the falling issue, the easiest mod to fix this is to add a flat washer (or two) between the straps and the mid-section. This will push the tabs out far enough to prevent 99% of the issue.

Thanks guys. i posted pics of the first smoke in the pork section...came out amazing

pecan wood
texas butt rub
chris champ injection
14 hrs between 235-260

Back