Vent controls

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
I need to learn more about vent controls. DOes anyone have any advise? I seem to have better luck with em all wide open to keep coals from dying out.
Got some ribs on today. Its very breezy outside.

That's a pretty broad question and your personal experience over several cooks is probably your best answer.

Generally, if it's windy have your vent which is downwind closed or nearly closed. Make your vent adjustments as the temp rises in small increments. Try to anticipate what the temp is doing, how fast or slow it is rising, and make the small adjustments at that point. You're trying to adjust so you have a slow rate of assent. Many variables will determine whether your vents or wide open, closed or adjusted at some point in between. I have had sitations where I did need to run vents totally open, but that is unusal and probably a result of me not having the necessary fuel at the beginning of the cook. On overnighters, you may well need them all open in the a.m. because the fuel supply has diminished significantly.

Paul

The best thing to remember about the vents is that they have one function, and one function only:

To regulate the amount of oxygen that can get to the coals.

The more oxygen that gets to the coals, the hotter the fire.

You can also think of it this way:

The more open the vents, the hotter the fire. The more closed the vents, the cooler the fire.

This is a general statement, of course.

Then, as you start adding more variables, you have to adjust accordingly.

Therefore, on a windy day, you will want the vents more closed - otherwise, more air will be blowing over your coals.

If you are cooking in a very cold environment, you will want the vents open to help the fire offset the cold exterior.

If you are cooking on a hot day, shut the vents down more because the sun will help to heat the cooker - and less fire will be neccessary.

Just remember that the bottom vents control the oxygen.

The top vent should always be open.

Vent settings have a lot to do with how "tight" your smoker is to begin with. Until I worked on my access door, my wsm was so non-air tight that I couldn't even get the fire to go out when I closed all my vents (top and bottom). You really have to get to know your smoker. Mine still seems pretty loose to me because I can usually hold about 250º with only one bottom vent about 1/4 open. Your results will vary.

If your temps are going up and then you are shutting the vents and the fire dies, I think you're just making too big of adjustments. As the temps rise and at about 200º, start closing the vents a little at a time.

Vent control is one lesson that I'm learning. It doesn't take much adjustment to dramatically (and quickly) affect heat. My WSM seems pretty tight so it's small adjustments for me.

Back