Veal breast

Matt Sanders

TVWBB Pro
Continuing my experimentation with lamb, while having zero personal or family background with it, a hunk of "veal breast" caught my eye at the supermarket.

It looked like the sort of thing that could be smoked on the WSM. Could I just season it, slap it on there, cook at 250 for a couple hours, and expect good results?

Same as our regular brisket (but younger) isn't it? Just not as much marbling/fat so I wouldn't want to roast it as long.

Im a big fan of veal..But never seen "Veal breast" for sale. But then again they dont sell hole brisket´s in sweden. Its often cubed up as casserole meat.

Look @ the marbling and se how long it can be cooked over target temp without drying out.

Cant really give you any cooking tips.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Sanders:
Continuing my experimentation with lamb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What does veal breast have to do with your lamb experiments?
icon_smile.gif

I'm hoping you don't think veal is lamb.Veal comes from a calf.

Here are some recipes that might give you an idea.

The breast is basically a brisket but since it comes from a calf there isn't as much fat or marbling to it.

Vela breast usually (and should, imo) contain the breast bones. You can smoke it but go light on the wood. I usually stuff it. If cooking on the grill I cook indirect, then foil it with a bit of liquid when half done or so.

LOL! My bad.
icon_redface.gif

The grocer had next to the lamb cuts, and veal is one of those things I've never dealt with. Not the first time I've made that mistake.......

I still appreciate the advice though....

Back