Vasconia Pot is Back?!

Okay guys, Dilemma Time! Just encountered a sweet surprise when I went out to my shop to get my SJ from its unopened box. Bought both SJ and a JJ for like $20 a piece on some clearance and put them unopened in my shop.
To my surprise, my SJ is Lime Green! Actually, it's more a avocado color, but they are calling it Lime Green.
So, Are these SJ's common enough in this color to use as a mini, or should I throw it back in the box, and pick up a new SJ while I'm out shopping? I had forgotten all about grabbing that color when I bought it. I put the pot inside the bottom of the SJ, and the bottom and top fit perfectly! I actually think it'll come out looking kinda cool using the green SJ, but I don't want to hear about what a moron I am for using a collector's pristine SJ either. Any thoughts?

Okay guys, Dilemma Time! Just encountered a sweet surprise when I went out to my shop to get my SJ from its unopened box. Bought both SJ and a JJ for like $20 a piece on some clearance and put them unopened in my shop.
To my surprise, my SJ is Lime Green! Actually, it's more a avocado color, but they are calling it Lime Green.
So, Are these SJ's common enough in this color to use as a mini, or should I throw it back in the box, and pick up a new SJ while I'm out shopping? I had forgotten all about grabbing that color when I bought it. I put the pot inside the bottom of the SJ, and the bottom and top fit perfectly! I actually think it'll come out looking kinda cool using the green SJ, but I don't want to hear about what a moron I am for using a collector's pristine SJ either. Any thoughts?

I'd go ahead and use it. I know of several other lime green Mini's!

I just received an ad from Pfaltzgraff.com so I went to their site and searched for "Tamale pot" - nothing - Are they no longer selling the Vasconia pot? WHO IS??

Last edited:
I bought a 32qt vasconia pot from Heb in austin and it doesn't fit my smokey joe gold. There's a 1/4 inch gap all around. Are there two different vasconia pots out there? Outside have more of a stainless steel finish and inside is aluminum.

Last edited:
I bought a 32qt vasconia pot from Heb in austin and it doesn't fit my smokey joe gold. There's a 1/4 inch gap all around. Are there two different vasconia pots out there? Outside have more of a stainless steel finish and inside is aluminum.

Yes there are a couple versions of the pot. Question for you, what if you attach the pots lid to the bottom of the pot. Will that make it fit better on the base? To test take the pot lid and set it on the SMJ base. I have always attached the lid to the bottom of my pots. it will give you a 1/4" lip that may help you out.

8218982177_0752297617_k.jpg

8635426567_bf285b52da_k.jpg

8451118407_758a29cd8e_k.jpg

Genius! Thanks case! I haven't notice other builds using the top as a base. This will work perfectly to create a good seal. I guess having 4 minis yourself, you know all the tricks and trades. My mini build continues!

Genius! Thanks case! I haven't notice other builds using the top as a base. This will work perfectly to create a good seal. I guess having 4 minis yourself, you know all the tricks and trades. My mini build continues!

All of my pots have the lids attached to the bottom. It does make a great seal to the SMJ base. It also allows you to stack pots if you want, which works good when cold smoking.

8636533374_f49ecefdb6_c.jpg

13991129869_c694c1dac8_c.jpg

Back