Various questions regarding WMS

Hey guys,

I am in the market for a smoker. I'm in Canada so availability is an issue for me. I can get the MES 40, The Big Green Egg, and WSM.

I heard with the MES 40 that there is no smoke ring and read many complaints and about 'not smokey enough' flavor so that went out the window.

I was told the Big Green Egg is preferable to the WSM and if you can afford it get the Big Green Egg. I went to the BGE forums and again, noticed a lack of smoke ring in the pictures. I also read complaints from WSM users who migrated to the BGE, only to ask questions of why they are not getting a smoke rings and why it was lacking a certain flavor. So that went out the window right away for me.

So this leaves me with the WSM. I have some questions:

-The 18" is much cheaper for me to buy here. How do I know I would need the 22.5? I would like to make mainly Pastrami, Corned beef, and sometimes pork and bacon. I'm guessing I'll smoke about 5-10 times a year. I tend to do big batches so would like to maximize whatever I can smoke. I'm just not sure exactly what I can smoke.

-I would like to get a temp control system. Would they work better on the 18" or 22.5"? If you had to guess what would you think?

-Is there an aftermarket product that you would consider 'mandatory'? I don't mind buying extra stuff online.

-Once I set it to start, what is the longest I can set it and forget it and keep a consistent temp without interference? Everyone seems to say something different.

Thanks the help

Welcome to the board Michael.

Never herd of the Mes 40 before,but i have been reading up on ceramic cookers.

In the WSM price range you cant beat it. And you can fit alot more meat in the wsm then the egg.

If you only smoke meat for you and your family i would go with the 18"(i have the 22" and never even used the bottom rack)

I dont really know mutch about Temp control systems(and i dont need one) but i guess you will get help from another member.

"Is there an aftermarket product that you would consider 'mandatory'? " Since i dont use a "temp control sys" i would say that a remote termo like the ET-732 is great to have.

And how long you can run a WSM in a single load? Well depends on the quality of the fuel. I have never done a cook were the fuel was gone before the meat was done.

I bet you will love your WSM if you get it. I just bought a ceramic cooker myself but i would never trade my WSM away.

- Depends on what you consider a "big batch". On the 18", you can do 6 8lb butts or 2 average briskets. On the 22", you can do 8 8lb butts or 2 large briskets. Of course, you can add a 3rd or 4th grate with little to no modifications - Increasing Cooking Capacity.

- Yes, there are temp control systems like the BBQ Guru that will work with all smokers. But they are not really needed.

- Well, there are the essential accessories - BBQ Accessories & Supplies. A remote therm like the ET-732 is very nice but not mandatory.

- 10~12 hours is probably about average. Of course, it all depends on weather, what meat, how much meat, at what temp, and type of fuel.

Welcome!

I think a remote therm is a very good accessory to have. I don't have the ET732, but a lot of people on these board like them.

Other "gadgets" on my must have list would be a charcoal chimney and maybe some welding gloves for handling hot grates, etc.

The only gadget I have is the ET73 (looking to upgrade to the ET732 next year). A valuable tool. The WSM is really stable, temp wise. It'll run steady for 8-10 hours without interference. Remember, both the 18 and 22" have two cooking grates. I bought the 22 because it was on sale locally. It's rare that I ever pack it to full capacity. You can cook for a lot of people with the 18 filled I would bet.
The general consensus I've heard concerning the BGE is that it's a fine smoker/grill, but expensive, difficult to move around (heavy). You can't do anything on it that the WSM can't do. This is my third year with the WSM and love it more all time. I've done the usual pork, chicken, brisket, meatloaf, fish, bacon, etc... the fun never ends. You'll want to use it at least once a month. Set up and clean up is easy too -- very straight-forward.

Michael, are you talking about cold smoke curing? I have never smoked any of the meats you mention except pork.

Mark

I use a single WSM and have for years. I've cooked for 2-200 people on it. For large parties one simply cooks in advance, cooling, fridging or freezing, and reheating for service. Also. one can do successive cooks: I do not do mixed cooks (with 2 or more different meats at a time), though many do. If wanting to smoke multiple items I simply do one, remove it when done, load in another, remove it when done, then another, etc. For example, I make smoke bacon, then pastrami, then salmon, or some flow similar. Even if not averse to mixing meats as I am, if you want to fill both grates with one item, you can do so, then simply cook the next when the first is done.

I bought a Guru for automatic temp control years ago, used a couple or three times, and never used it again, Worked fine. It just wasn't really needed, to me, so I quit fussing with it. I think they would work the same on either size cooker. More fuel seems to be required on the 22, so that might be a consideration.

I don't feel the need to remotely monitor temps so I don't use my Maverick often but it's worth the small expense. A good digital, instant read, tip-sensitive thermometer is a must for checking for safe internal temps on foods only cooked that far, or for foods cooked to lower internals than typical barbecue, like many roasts, bacon, etc. I have a Thermapen for that.

Once you get used to your cooker and temp control you can easily add to cooker time by judiciously adding fuel when needed, so you can have a very long cook session, if desired, with only minimal interference. It's easy to get 10-12 hours, substantially more with high quality lump packed well at the outset. But it is also easy to extend the time by adding more unlit, lit or a combination of the two.

Welcome to the board.

I'm just adding a comment because Kevin doesn't do mixed cooks. While I do cook for larger groups at times, most of what I do on the 18.5 is for my wife and myself -- often with some given away. I tend to do mixed cooks fairly often -- usually a large meat like brisket or pork butt (1 or 2), mixed with something like wings, ribs, almonds, ABTs, ham, chicken parts, meatloaf, etc. I try to time things so that: EITHER all or most goes on at the beginning and remove each at the right time based on temp or time -- in which case the big meat time is extended because of the "open time" meeded to get items off. This is great for appetizers or snacks becasue they're done before the main meal. OR by adding the other items to try and get everything completed near the same time -- so ABTs get added an hour before I expect the brisket to finish.

I also TRY to put long cook items on the bottom rack if both racks are being used just so it's easier to manage. If a long cook meat is on the bottom, I'll move it to the top (again, convenience) when space is available.

One recent mixed cook was a beef roast and a chicken on the bottom, a 5 lb. ham, sausage and almonds on the top. (I smoke almonds in a stainless colander, so it's easy to move.)

The WSM makes it fairly easy to manage all this even when using two or three probes and instant read, I couldn't say about another cooker.

Rich

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The WSM makes it fairly easy to manage all this even when using two or three probes and instant read, I couldn't say about another cooker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you tell me if there has been anything the 18.5 could not handle size wise? I guess I dont want the meat size to be larger than what the grill can handle.. the briskets look pretty large on some Youtube vids so was just curious..

Well ... the 18.5's top grate is 17.5" and the bottom grate is 17". So anything longer than that won't fit and anything over 16" will probably get unintended "burnt ends".

For large racks of ribs, I trim the small and large ends off and cook them as "samplers".

For large packer briskets, you might consider separating the point from the flat.

Whole piglets won't fit on the 18.5" but will on the 22.5".

Were I to do a mixed cook I would time it as Rich suggests, all or most at the beginning, or so that all will be completed at the same time. Makes the most sense.

A large brisket will fit an 18. I do them often as the packer choice is limited where I am in Fla. I dislike separating the point from flat before cooking. One needs only to wedge the brisket between the top handles of the top grate, protecting the ends with a little foil from the stronger heat that runs up the cooker's sides, and bow the brisket up in the middle. It will shrink as it cooks. No problem.

I'm not sure if you have looked already, but if you want to see the units up close and personal I suggest heading up the 400 Hwy to Ontario Gas BBQ. They offer many smokers (and lots of other goodies) so you can see for yourself.

For me the only "must have" items are already mentioned. I have the old model so I attached handles but that's certainly not a must (but it is nice)

As for capacity, I'm not sure how big you are looking to cook, but I have done many 10 lb + briskets with little trouble. Obviously when picking them out I look for more compact pieces, but you can wedge them in and they shrink nicely during the cook.

Actually the biggest headache you are going to find is locating a butcher to get packers.... and at a price that doesn't make you feel like you just left a prison shower.

Hey thanks for the replies. I decided to get the 18.5" and then a 22.5" grill.

I got the 18.5" for $299 (origional price was $329) from the BBQ place in Burlington. Can't remember the name. The also have one in Oakville but they only had stock in Burlington. They price matched Bass Pro Shop's online price of $299. My wife asked and the lady and she gladly price matched. Very rare occurrence that's for sure. I got the 22.5" grill from Lowes for $118.

Here they are:

9937e0b0.jpg

I want to get a temp control unit now.. the 110 seems like the best value it seems...

Well I'd say you are good to go!
Get the weber smoker baskets for the grill.
For some cooks like poultry I like indirect smoke/grilling better than low & slow on the WSM.

Right on Michael. Looks like you scored a couple deals!

SO, big question is what's the first cook on each going to be???
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Well, now that you are in the family...we'll be expecting frequent news and pics.

I imagine the small sheep, seen exitng to your left, will be getting nervous, with all that cooking equipment around.

Mike, that small sheep is just standing in line for the BBQ. I bet he/she might even second as a grate cleaner.

Great choice of two products I'm certain you'll be very happy with.

Not sure if you're a gadget person or if cash is a little tight, but unless I was a gadget person, I'd hold off on the temp control unit. I am not exaggerating that I can hold temp rock solid for a good 8 hours with no problem. All you have to do is stay out of the wind and have a little patience. When I first got my WSM, I couldn't hold temp, but it wasn't long before I got the process down, learned to stop fiddling with the vents and experienced rock solid temps.

Either way, get ready to enjoy your new Weber's and welcome to the forum.

I agree with Jerry, Automatic temp control is very achievable with a little experience. I'm a gadget fiend, and keep thinking I want to log temperature, watch trend lines, etc. Then I take a step back and realize what a marvelous design the WSM has, that it can hold temp for so long with a little patience and clever vent work. If you want a perfect holding temp, you always have your oven. :p

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I decided to get the 18.5" and then a 22.5" grill. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Congratulations! It's twins! There won't be much you can't handle with those two.

Back