Value advise for CL purchase

Jason Beach

TVWBB Member
I'm looking for a functional grill, at the right price, and I figured this forum was the best place to get some input. I already have the means to grill, or BBQ, whatever I want to, but am looking to add a Performer to my options. I found this on Craigslist and seek the opinions of the forum members to help me decide if it's worth it. I like this model (and color) and can pick it up for less than $100. I'm sure that I can clean it up nicely, but the obvious question is, is the lid too damaged to make this a deal breaker? I don't mind the cosmetic issue too much, but should I wait for something else to pop up in that price range, or jump on it? I'm in San Diego.

Jason

I would not buy it for more than $20.
It's been run hard and put up wet many times, looks like.
Also looks like the non-gas assist model.

These late model Performers show up on CL often and there will be other opportunities.
The previous generation is called the SS Performer...they have a stainless steel table.

Here's a neglected "Redhead" SSP...
00W0W_lRB1OWxDLYU_600x450.jpg

Here's Marty's beautiful, restored Redhead SSP...
12135479973_5aa037c78d.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up my performer with the gas assist in excellent condition for $50.00. I have seen others on CL for around that price in much better condition then the one listed here. I would pass.

If the bowl is in good shape, frame undamaged, and igniter works, generally worth $50-$75. The price depends on the availabilty in your local market. You can order a new lid from Weber for probably no more than 50-60 bucks with shipping. Reuse the thermometer from the old one, because Weber won't include it with a replacement lid.

I had a blue 2005 model Performer that I just left at our old home when we moved last summer - have regretted that decision ever since (especially since I only paid 40 bucks for it). My family loved the ease of use, and I cooked a pork shoulder low n slow for 14 hours on it once with one load of charcoal. I have a green Crate & Barrel that I bought last year for a decent price, but it has a "matte" finish and I prefer the glossy shine of the bright Blue.

Last edited:
beginning of spring? Hell chief id snatch that rascal up for $100. might be chipped or dirty or used but what the hell - cook on it for one year and resell it on CL next spring to get you a new model. been here done this. plus you wanted it or you wouldn't have asked- heheh

don't lift the lid...

I have an extra blue lid. It's in better condition than the one in that weber. I use it to cover up my CI disk when I cook.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?49995-Mojarras-on-the-weber

We can trade if you want. I just need a lid to cover up the CI.

PM if you decide to get the performer. That weber has been listed for a while now so you may get a great price. Try to get it for cheap.

I would not buy it for more than $20.
It's been run hard and put up wet many times, looks like.
Also looks like the non-gas assist model.

These late model Performers show up on CL often and there will be other opportunities.
The previous generation is called the SS Performer...they have a stainless steel table.

$20 bucks? Really? You can't even order the ash pan for 20 bucks. Other than the lid, which obviously hit the pavement a few too many times (probably because of the stupid lid bale) what's wrong with this performer? And why do you think it's a non-gas model? Does Weber typically put Lighting Instruction stickers on their non-gas grills?

While this isn't a SS model, it's also not a late model either. The black frame w/ SS front panel hasn't been around for a handful of years, so I'm curious how often this style in blue pops up in your area.

If it's less than a hundred bucks, I'd seriously consider picking it up and ordering a new lid if I was in the market for one.

$20 bucks? Really? You can't even order the ash pan for 20 bucks. Other than the lid, which obviously hit the pavement a few too many times (probably because of the stupid lid bale) what's wrong with this performer? And why do you think it's a non-gas model? Does Weber typically put Lighting Instruction stickers on their non-gas grills?

While this isn't a SS model, it's also not a late model either. The black frame w/ SS front panel hasn't been around for a handful of years, so I'm curious how often this style in blue pops up in your area.

If it's less than a hundred bucks, I'd seriously consider picking it up and ordering a new lid if I was in the market for one.
It's a dog in my opinion.
I couldn't live with the crappy lid or the stained table (and who knows what else) unless I got it for a song.
Looks like the therm and housing are toast, too.
Even then, I would probably wait for a better deal to come along unless I just wanted to harvest a few parts.

YMMV

Last edited:
I'd pass, myself I wouldn't pay more than $40 in it's condition. Patience and regular watching of the ads is everything with online classifieds like CL etc and being ready to go on a moments notice when the right one comes up.

Patience, it will come up. Good luck.

Last edited:
I actually don't think it's in that bad of shape..offer 50 and see what happens!! I have that model myself..little elbow grease, that handle will probably straighten out a bit...clean her up...add propane and coals and cook up a storm!!

There are better ones out there, OP.

This one sold for $50 in Omaha on 3/26/14
Probably more grills per capita in Cali...keep watching CL.

163pzr.jpg

Last edited:
I've been watching for a performer on CL too. That grill has been on Craigslist for AT LEAST 6 months (I'm near Los Angeles) & started out at $150. If you loose your patience, don't pay $100; make a low ball offer & see what happens.

Back