Using Peach

Jason Robert

I ordered some wood chunks the other day and one of the boxes I ordered was a combination box with cherry, apple, and peach. The chunks are separated by type so and marked to avoid any confusion. I have used apple before and there is a lot of information out there on cherry. Have any of you used peach before? If so what meats does it compliment the best. I also ordered some oak so I am wondering about combinations. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

I have a cpl peach trees and save pruned limbs for cooking. I've only used it with pork butt and ribs and really like it.

I REALLY like Peach with Ribs. Started doing that recently and have gotten great results. The taste isn't THAT different than Apple or Cherry, but it is slightly different.

Plus I'm in SC which is the 2nd biggest producer of peaches in the US, so using Peach wood feels like i'm giving my meat more of a local flavor.

I've heard some people use it for butts. I've tried that and it seemed too mild to me. I like a hickory/pecan mix for butts. But as always, feel free to experiment with it on several meats.

The worst thing that can happen is that the taste will not be quite as good as you desire. You can't ruin a meat with a fruit wood IMO. The only un-eatable wood experiement you could have would involve mesquite.

I also ordered some peach from fruita wood, really like it with pork ribs. Interested to hear about pear, but my guess would be it is very similar in the profile/characteristics of apple wood.

Back