Using Brisket Flat - Central Texas-Style Butcher Paper method on the POINT?

Darrell_K

I was all excited about the 17lb brisket until I tested it for fit in my 18.5 WSM. So I separated the flat and point so that it will fit. I was planning on trying the butcher paper method on the whole packer brisket. Now that I have the flat and point separated I'm wondering if I should do the butcher paper with the point like I will with the flat. Thoughts? :confused:

Also I was trying to figure out how to put the meat in the WSM. My idea was to lay the point on top of the flat (fat side down) until it was time to wrap them in paper. Thoughts? :confused:

I'm going to put the brisket late tonight and then early tomorrow morning put in 2 chuck rolls.

So here is how it turned out

DSCN3363.JPG

Here is the separated brisket. I put the point on "backwards" so the the fattest part was over the thin part of the flat. I think it helped keep the flat moist.

DSCN3365.JPG

after 8 hours. Flat was at 162 deg.

DSCN3369.JPG

Wrapped both the flat and point in paper

DSCN3373.JPG

Here is the point. I took the flat off the heat after 11 hours. The paper on the point was so soaked with grease that it was worthless. I took the paper off and let it cook for another 4 hours.

I wouldn't wrap the point again, but I would separate the brisket again like I did.

Last edited:
I don't see how wrapping the point alone would be any different than wrapping an entire packer. Anyways, looks GREAT in that last picture.

i agree. The point does look very good. How did the flat turn out? I was curious if laying the fatty point over the top would help with moisture or not? Was it juicier than normal? My guess is that you might have taken a hit on the crust though.

When I have cooked large briskets on my 18" WSM I have been able to wedge the piece as a whole in between the handles of the top cooking grate. Depending on the length of the brisket this might initially bow the meat by lifting it off the center of the grate but in time the meat shrinks and the brisket finds itself fitting nicely on the grate.

I tried that Steve but the brisket bowed around the handles. I shouldn't have bought one that big but I just had to! :cool:

I totally know what you mean Darrell. I'm running a practice cook today with a 13.7lb brisket in my 14.5 inch, which I'm very fond of. I've got it all propped up like Steve suggests. I'd post a picture but I'm lame and it seems like I need a site to do it. The point is freakin huge too which made it very challenging. But all of that being said, I've cooked a 27lb (or in that range) on a 18.5 inch. Trust me, it can be done.

But I will say, I am inspired by your technique. Maybe the crust suffers but I might be willing to accept that if the brisket is more moist. Or at least put a little rack between the two meats. Its interesting.

Back