Using an electric oven as a warming oven

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
Chris posted an article about this and did a vid last September.

https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/using-electric-oven-to-hold-brisket-at-temperature/

I got a couple of questions for Chris, how old is your oven ?

And it appears that the temp swings in the oven narrowed when it held a brisket , rather than empty . Am I reading that right ?

I'm currently testing a very old Westinghouse roaster oven , that's been handed down from my grandmother and who knows how many turkeys it roasted on T-Giving, and it has 20* temp swings. I'm hoping putting a brisket in the oven narrows that swing.

But Chris's results may be due to a much newer oven. I tested our 40 year old kitchen oven and it had 20* swings, here's the chart.

Oven Warming Test.jpg

Side note, I sure wish the Thermoworks graphs I make using Gateway, were in 25* increments rather than 50*. Barbecue is more precise than 50*.

If there's a way to adjust that without having to buy MS Excel, I'd like to know.

Once I wrap a brisket or butt, it goes into a 275-300F oven to finish.

When the magic 203F IT is reached, I turn the oven off. The warm, insulated oven can hold the meat for many many hours.

So no more cooler and towels for me.

If there's a way to adjust that without having to buy MS Excel, I'd like to know.
LibreOffice or OpenOffice. Both are open sourced office document application suites. Yes, there is a learning curve, both will read & write a lot of M$ formats.

Well, I found out for myself. I put a half aluminum pan in my 70 yo Westinghouse roaster oven and filled it with hot tap water ( 117* )

I set the oven on 150*. And for six hours it ran between 139* and 150*. At the end, the water temped 149*.

So , why would not a brisket serve as a heat sink and even out temp swings ? I think it would . I think it did in Chris's oven .

Roaster Oven Heat Sink Test.jpg

recently got a smoke and haven't used it yet. below is off the thermoworks site. Google Sheets is free and would be an easy option. Glad you guys were chatting about this! May have to get a Gateway.

Exported graphs are saved as .csv files and can be opened in any spreadsheet program, such as Excel, Google Sheets, or Numbers.

recently got a smoke and haven't used it yet. below is off the thermoworks site. Google Sheets is free and would be an easy option. Glad you guys were chatting about this! May have to get a Gateway.

Exported graphs are saved as .csv files and can be opened in any spreadsheet program, such as Excel, Google Sheets, or Numbers.

Yes, I've used Google Sheets. Excel is gonna cost some money. I don't know anything about Numbers ?

But that's good info to save them as .csv files. I've been saving them as JPG. I will work on that.

And Thermoworks puts the Gateway on sale often, generally at a pretty steep discount. I think as low as $50, not sure , may be lower.

Lynn, if you're used to spreadsheets, you should be able to adjust to just about anything. Personally, I like to keep stuff local, so I'll either spring for a local Office licence, or more likely install LibreOffice (free download.)

Gateway on sale now , for $58 , reg $89

Back