Using a clay saucer , questions..

dean

TVWBB Pro
I have had my wsm for like 10 years and still use it regularly. I use a foiled empty water pan. I have seen posts for the clay saucer being used. What are the advantages to using that method? Any disadvantages? What is the proper way to do it? What is the right size saucer?.. I have the older style wsm w/o the bottom heat thing that protects a deck. I can't wait till my next smoke! Thx..

Hi Dean.

Well the saucer is only there as a heat sink instead of the water. But if you are used to smoke with just a foiled water pan and you are happy about that i think the saucer is not needed.

Dean -

I used to use water or firebricks for my heat sink but now use just a foiled pan. If you are comfortable with dealing with any heat spikes then it would seem to be fine to proceed with just a foiled pan.

-Don

Dean--I believe the saucer I use is the 14.25". I got it at Home Depot. I place the saucer into the WSM water pan, then fold foil to provide a double (or more) layer in the bottom of the saucer. I then cover the entire saucer with two layers of foil-- pushing each down into the saucer and crimping it down around the outside edges of the pan. It has been my experience that no matter what you do,foil will leak much of the time. The next time I get ready to cook I peel off the foil layers (one at the time) until I get to a clean one. I then replace the ones I removed. Hope this helps.

Back