Use performer Base for WSM

Adam W

TVWBB Member
So I got a performer on CL super cheap and am planning on making a cart for my 22 WSM from it.

Before I rip it apart, I was wondering how many people have used the performer base for smoking on thier WSM, my concern is I use a stoker and get really good efficiency, I dont want any extra fresh air draw. I know I would have to modify the starter to not draw external air, but other than that, how tight are the ash seals? etc...

thanks!
Adam

I'm using a Cajun Bandit kettle conversion on my Performer. Not the WSM, but the same concept.

IMG_2095.jpg

Although I don't have it set up for an ATC (yet) I would try to seal the vents under the ash sweeps.
One advantage I've got is an ash pan from a Sears/Weber Economy kettle, that seems to give me better control on low n slow cooks using the Cajun Bandit.

IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

Not sure which Performer you plan to use for the cart, and I've never really paid too much attention to the new P, but If I felt there was still to much draw from the charcoal starter, I'd likely just slip a length of pipe over the burner tube.

I'm 6'2" and it is just the right height for me, but if you plan to use a rotisserie with the WSM/Cajun Bandit, take that into account too.

IMG_4006.jpg

IMG_4358.jpg

Keep us posted!

hmm, you've given me an idea... I have a newer style P with the plastic top..

maybe I can use the gas starter as an air feed, make a fan adapter for it, after starting the WSM with the gas line, I can pull gas line and jet off (only held with a C pin) then put the Fan on adapter on ...Could be awesone!!

No need to use the P base though, cause once the ash vents are sealed it would basically be a WSM base anyway, better to just drill the WSM base...

thoughts? Am I crazy here?

Back