Urgent - Brisket help needed, smoking tomorrow!!!

Russ Turner

TVWBB Member
I'm smoking a brisket tomorrow for a friend as a Christmas thank you. I was thinking that I would use hickory chunks to try to give it a better flavor. The brisket for tomorrow is 9 pounder.
Here's the pics of today's smoke....marginal at best. It was a cryovac 8 pounder that I trimmed before smoking. I rubbed mustard, then Lowry's season salt, little pepper, then brown sugar. I have had bad luck with Mesquite, so I used kingsford regular charcoal by itself. I used the minion method and cooked it for 6 hrs. I did not use a thermometer, ran the cooker at 225-250, took it off, wrapped in foil and put in the unheated oven. It tastes too much like charcoal. It was kinda dry but tender.

I need some help. My family doesn't care for a strong smoke taste, but charcoal is not a good taste either.

Thanks,

Russ
http://i772.photobucket.com/al.../eusrwt/IMG_5167.jpg
http://i772.photobucket.com/al.../eusrwt/IMG_5177.jpg

I am no pro, but this is what I used last time. Salt, pepper, garlic, and Old Bay on the brisket. Smoked 225-250 until internal temp was 170. Wrapped in foil and finished in oven until internal reached 200. Smoker started minion method with kingsford in the bottom, 5 fist sized chunks of hickory, and started it all with a chimney full of mesquite lump. Was as good a brisket as I have ever had.

Hope this helps.

How did you start the charcoal, and what kind of charcoal did you use?

Eight pounds at six hours at 225-250 seems an awfully short time to reach tender.

Old Bay is a commercial seasoning mix. It includes paprika, black and red pepper, salt, and some other herbs. gives great flavor.

Last time I put the hickory in the charcoal ring and put the kingsford around it. On my next smoke I am putting it on top of the Kingsford and putting the mesquite lump over it.

Originally posted by Breton Munns:
Old Bay is a commercial seasoning mix. It includes paprika, black and red pepper, salt, and some other herbs. gives great flavor.

The dominant flavor in old bay is celery salt fyi

Try a milder wood like cherry or apple. I only use two chunks, that gives it a nice hint of smoke without over powering. Here is a rub that I've been using the last few months. Great flavor and some heat too.

Brisket Rub #1

* 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
* 2 tablespoons kosher or coarse salt
* 2 teaspoons black pepper
* 2 teaspoons paprika
* 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1 teaspoon granulated onion
* 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
* 1 teaspoon oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

Last time I did brisket, I just used kosher salt and fresh-ground tri-color pepper from a coarse-grind pepper mill.

About (3) fist-sized chunks of old, dry, applewood, along with a little maple.

The flavor of the meat & smoke really came through.

If you've never tried this simple / no-frills method - give it a try sometime. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for the great feedback. I smoked my first give-away brisket today. I followed the minion method and used 3.5 small pieces of hickory, and only applied seasoned salt and black pepper to the brisket. The taste is much better. It still is not where I want it to be.
I'm gonna try everything mentioned; the cherry/apple and the straight wood.

Thanks again!

Russ

Back