Two-channel thermometers... usefull for gas grilling?

Tom Henderson

TVWBB Member
I'm a noob...

Are two-channel thermometrs (Maverick 72x etc) usefull for gas grills (Genesis 300-series, etc)

I understand how meat temp is usefull on any grill.

I understand how smokers need to monitor grill temp, and I can see why charcoal grillers would need to as well.

BUT... on a larger gas grill is grill temp usefull?

I'm a gadget-lover, and I'm intrigued by the Maverick two-channel thermos. But i'm not sure that the grill temp would be helpful on a Genesis/Spirit gas grill.

Please share your thoughts! Thanks in advance...

-Tom in SoCal

Useful? Maybe. Necessary? Not likely. Unless maybe you were doing two different sized cuts/meats at the same time. I guess you could use one to replace the generally useless bimetal thermos in the lid, but one is really enough. FWIW, I have used the Walmart Polder temperature monitors for years with a gasser.

There are ways to smoke on a gasser and a lot of times you just wanna cook indirect so I don't see why it would be a bad idea. A fanastic way to cook a steak is to cook indirectly to a set temp, say 110 internal and then sear at the end.

There are ways to smoke on a gasser and a lot of times you just wanna cook indirect so I don't see why it would be a bad idea. A fanastic way to cook a steak is to cook indirectly to a set temp, say 110 internal and then sear at the end.

Hi Dustin-

Thanks for your comments.

But if I understand you correctly, in your indirect scenario I would set the fire and cook the meat to an internal temp of 110, then sear on hi heat until done. Couldn't i do that with a one-channel temp device?

Or do you adjust the burners for a specific temp at the grill?

I usually just put the burners to hi/med/lo (and direct/indirect) and take whatever temp I get, cooking to get a desired meat internal temp.

On a charcoal smoker where you are adjusting the fire to maintain a given temp for hours and also watching meat temp I can see needing a second channel. And probably for smoking or traditional low-temp barbecue on a gasser I can see it.

But I'm not so sure about needing the second channel for grilling on a gasser... But I don't know much, hence my questions.

-Tom in SoCal

Useful? Maybe. Necessary? Not likely. Unless maybe you were doing two different sized cuts/meats at the same time. I guess you could use one to replace the generally useless bimetal thermos in the lid, but one is really enough. FWIW, I have used the Walmart Polder temperature monitors for years with a gasser.

Hmmm... I hadn't thought about monitoring more than one location... That could be useful. Great idea!

Yes I was talking about dialing the grill to a specific temp although it's probably not that necessary. Typically even 2 zoning I pay more attention to the meat temp. I'd still like to know ballpark where I'm at.

Back