Turkey Rub Ideas??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt J

TVWBB Fan
Any good ideas for turkey rubs. Going to pick up a 15-18lb bird at the meat market when I get off work in the morning and smoke it on Sat late morning. Any suggestions. Looking for a few good ideas. So far I have smoked a variety of beef, pork, and chicken but this is my first turkey. Going to smoke it in the 350deg range. Figure it to take around 3-4 hours to get to safe temp for turkey. Bring on the suggestions.

Hi Matt,

Before you think I'm nuts take a look at this recipe:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/4366

Don't rub it. Brine it then smoke it. Or at 350 degrees I guess what you're really doing is roasting it.

I've done this turkey recipe on my Genesis about 50 times. My family/friends/neighbors won't let me cook any other turkey.

I'm new to the WSM but it should transition pretty easily.

Figured going with a higher temp would get it done before it drys out. Have never heard of doing a turkey at 225-250. Has anyone tried it.

As for recipe. Thanks.........it looks good. Might have to give it a try. Now I just have to come up with what to serve with the bird. Gonna do something besides the old turkey accompanyments...just don't know what yet.

Thanks.

Matt,

I think injection is the key to an awesome trukey. I use 6 oz. grapefruit juice & 10 oz.Italian dressing with some Old Bay added."strain before injecting" I use this amount for a 12# turkey. Then smoke at 235 untill done. I like to use oak/apple/pecan/hickory for the smoke wood. You can put some Old Bay on the skin if you like.

Good luck "take pics"

Rick

I never rub my turkeys, I always brine. 1 cup of Kosher salt and 2 cups of brown sugar per gallon of water, no matter if the turkey is in a solution or not. Gets flavor nice and deep all through the turkey. I cook mine at about 250-275 and they always come out juicey and flavorfull.

You might wanna adjust the salt and sugar to your taste though, it took me a few tries to adust it how I like it. I brine chickens too!

if you want a shortcut for brining your birds......pick up a Kosher Bird.. they are alread brined as part of the koshering process.....

around thanksgiving time if you listen closely most of the cooking shows will tell ya that buying a kosher bird you can skip the step of soaking in salt water solution....as for the flavoring ..you have to add that yourself....

I like to rub mine with Tony Chachere's 'extra' spice creole seasoning. It has less salt per ammount of heat than the original. Lightly coat with oil first. It will help the rub stick better and it will help with the transfer of temp (cooker to bird).

Evening all,

I'm starting to lean towards the Tony Chachere's creole spice cuz I already have some of it left from when I made Jambalaya. Also going to inject it with a cajin marinade and stuff it with onions and apple slices and heads of garlic. Now I have heard two trains of thought on how to smoke it. One I have heard to do it at 325-350 for about 3-4 hours till I get the safe temps in thigh and breast. I have also am hearing that if I brine it or if I get one that has been brined (kosher) that I can do smoke it at 250ish. Is this the case and any ideas how long it would take for a 15lber at 250deg. Danke.

My two cents: Brine it (if not "enhanced" or kosher) then smoke/roast at the higher temp. Better meat and skin texture.

My pleasure.

Looks like Jeanne's coming.
icon_frown.gif

Kevin,

I'm ok with it. Guess if it comes this way I can incorporated the turkey smoke in with my standard "Hurricane Party". We've done ok here in tampa so far. We'll atleast I did. During Frances the power went out all over the area for up to a week or so in some places but we didn't lose power at my house. We live less than a mile from the pwr substation so we seemed to do ok. OR at least better than most of FL. By the time it gets across the state to tampa it should be a TS vice a hurricane. Is Lake "O" pretty flooded these days?

The Ivan remnant dumped loads of water. My pastures all flooded--the ducks were in heaven.
I'd moved my four mares and four foals to a friend's higher ground pre-Frances and, fortunately, had decided to leave them there for a while.
We lost power for over a week post-Frances. Some damage to my barns and porch but the house is okay--so far.

Try this recipe. I use it on everything.

You will probably need to double it to cover a turkey. I've used it when I've fried them. It's really a "blackening" spice mix I started mixing up around 20yrs ago when you couldn't just find this type of stuff at the grocery store.

Spice Mix

1 T. sweet paprika
1 1/4 T salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
3/4 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp lemon pepper
1/2 tsp whole thyme leaves
3/4 tsp whole basil leaves

***FOR OUR RECIPE WE ONLY USE 1 HEAPING TSP SALT***

Mix together and store in a lidded jar.

That sounds interesting as well Chris. Gonna probably make up my mind right before I actually cook the dang thing...some many ideas so little space on the WSM. Hummm....may just have to get to birds and put one on the upper and one on the lower rack. Or could be the excuss I'm looking for to buy a second WSM for my collection.

UPDATE...UPDATE.........ended up cooking the dang bird during Hurricane Jeanne. Kind of had to or it would go bad...........power went out. Figured at least this way we'd have a hot meal for dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back