Turkey on a kettle

L Weiner

TVWBB Member
My friend and I are planning a cook on a kettle for Thanksgiving. So what does everyone recommend? How should we set it up on the grill? We have a rack we can use to keep the Turkey in. We have some applewood, some charcoal...what is the strategy (I am used to cooking on my WSM so need some help here). We are brining, rubbing - but the cooking is the place where we need some help - on how to set up the kettle and keep the temp at 325. Thanks!

I would go indirect using the charcoal baskets if you have them,put one on each side with the bird in the middle or both baskets touching in front and bird at the back.

First I add a drip pan with water to keep the drippings from burning and adding any off flavors to the bird. I don't have baskets so just use a crescent or c- shaped pile of coals.
About 1 chimney of unlit followed by 3/4 chimney of lit. I start with the birds legs facing the center of the coals, then rotate the grate midway so the breast finishes toward the end.
Usually if the weather is cooperating I might have to add more coals during the cook.
Tim

sounds like your well on your way. youve got great plan, the things you've mentioned have worked for me too. maybe lower and slower. breast down. use foil on top of turkey to get a lighter milder color skin. send pics...

dont touch the lid-

I've got the 26" kettle and at this point it looks like I am doing 2 turkeys. I've done ribs and pork butt on it using a snake method and was planning on doing the same with the turkeys. Primarily because I feel like I can control the heat for the long cook that way without having to take the lid off much. That said, I think I want to cook hotter than I did the ribs so I could just go with a pile on one side and add fuel later. I need the pressure of the cook to help me make the decision I think. :)

Back