Turkey Injection

Ben A Hillis

TVWBB Member
I plan on doing my normal cranberry orange juice brine this year for Thanksgiving. I'm playing around with the idea of injecting the turkey as well. What do you guys think? Is it worth it to inject, or is it a waste of time?

I plan on doing my normal cranberry orange juice brine this year for Thanksgiving. I'm playing around with the idea of injecting the turkey as well. What do you guys think? Is it worth it to inject, or is it a waste of time?
With a flavor brine I wouldn't. If you're wanting to inject I'd do a plain (salt only) brine and then inject.

Thanks, Larry. That makes sense. I thought about injecting with butter, but I thinking the turkey would be good as it is.

i am still in my infant stage regarding brining a turkey, I do know that a stick of melted butter and a cup+/- of Texas Pete mixed together makes an awesome injection for a turkey. Just like the name brand Creole Butter injection..
Tim

i am still in my infant stage regarding brining a turkey, I do know that a stick of melted butter and a cup+/- of Texas Pete mixed together makes an awesome injection for a turkey. Just like the name brand Creole Butter injection..
Tim
Hadn't thought of that. I typically use Frank's Red Hot for wing sauce, 50/50 with butter (1 stick; 1/2 cup sauce). Frank's is a bit salty, but for wings, it's great. Is Texas Pete less salty? Also have a question about the "heat value" of the finished bird. I don't have fridge space or a large container to brine, so I'm thinking of just going with an "enhanced" bird and doing an injection.

Also, I'm still trying to decide between a kettle with charcoal baskets and an 18.5 WSM with a clay saucer to do the cook.

Jeff

Back