Trying my first brined butt today.

Erik Snyder

TVWBB Fan
I'm curious to see if it adds any moisture or any added element at all. I was able to grab a rather narrow butt, so I'm hoping that some penetration has occurred.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erik Snyder:
I'm curious to see if it adds any moisture or any added element at all. I was able to grab a rather narrow butt, so I'm hoping that some penetration has occurred. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erik, what type of brine are you using? If you have a proper solution, the brine will/should penetrate the entire cut of meat if the solution is proper and if it's brined for enough time.

I used a basic salt, molasses, apple juice brine solution. I didn't really measure the ingredients exactly, but followed a rough brine format. I'm determined to get a pulled pork that's close to the N.C. pulled pork. I realize that most of the places I have tried probably use a whole hog, but I'm really trying my best to get flavor on the inside.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erik Snyder:
I used a basic salt, molasses, apple juice brine solution. I didn't really measure the ingredients exactly, but followed a rough brine format. I'm determined to get a pulled pork that's close to the N.C. pulled pork. I realize that most of the places I have tried probably use a whole hog, but I'm really trying my best to get flavor on the inside. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you say 'NC pulled pork' I'm assuming you mean 'Eastern NC' style.....basic, simple with a vinegar pepper sauce? If so, just season the pork with salt, pepper and used a couple hickory chunks. That's going to be the easiest way on a WSM to get close to what you're looking for. In my opinion, a brine is not needed for a butt at all, especially going for something as simple and basic as Eastern NC pulled pork.

Ok, I'm not exactly looking for simple. I'm just looking for some flavor, something that has been missing in every single butt I have made. I've had great bark, but then just blah on the inside. I've tried injecting, foiling, and just about everything else, including flavoring after cooking. We'll see...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...I've had great bark, but then just blah on the inside. I've tried injecting, foiling, and just about everything else, including flavoring after cooking. We'll see... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wow. Maybe you just don't like pulled pork?
icon_biggrin.gif

With the brining, you may get a more hammy texture when its done. As for the flavor of NC pulled pork, that's all in the sauce applied after it is pulled/chopped. Same with the VAST majority of pulled porks, alot of the flavor is coming from a finishing sauce of some kind. As Greg said, maybe PP just isn't your thing!

Man, I get a TON of flavor from mixing 2-3TBSP of reserved rub in with the pork. You said you tried "flavoring after cooking" but it sounds like maybe not?

Back