Trouble getting 18.5 up to temp

Chris W.

TVWBB Pro
I've got a 2008 18.5" WSM (bought January 2009), and of late I'm having a terrible time getting it up above 200* when starting a cook. For example, right now I've had it going for rougly an hour and a half and it's just now reaching 200*, and I waited fifteen to twenty minutes to put any meat in the smoker.

I always start with a full charcoal chimney of lit coals (amount of coal in the charcoal chamber varies depending on what I'm cooking, but I always go with a Minion start). In years past (until this year, in fact), I've had no trouble getting up to 250*. I'm not doing anything different than in previous years, but for some reason it now takes hours and hours to get up to temp. Does anyone have any idea what might cause this and how to fix it?

How are you measuring your smoker temp? If it's with just the lid temp probe maybe it's not working properly. I know that mine is off quite a bit, and it's not linear either. With a full chimney of lit I'm surprised you can't reach temperature fairly quickly. Since you say you are not doing anything differently than before (e.g. water in the pan, fewer lit coals to start, etc.) then the only suggestion I have is how you are measuring your temps.

I've always measured temp with the dome thermometer. After posting, I thought about it some more and realized I'd started foiling my grill grate to help keep them clean. I didn't even think about it earlier as I didn't think it'd make that much of a difference. Would it?

I don't know for sure since I've never foiled my grate, but if you think about it the air flow is likely being restricted by the foil. You are only leaving the gap around the grate available for the air to flow through which in turn can choke your fire. Try it without it and see if the temps are more in line with what you expect. Also, I would think the foil will hinder the amount of smoke that gets to the meat. Others on here know more than me, but that's my 2 cents.

Thanks, Todd. Next smoke I'll make sure to not foil the grate and see what happens. Thanks for the input!

I think that Todd is spot on if that is your only change. Have you made any changes to the vent settings or use different brand of fuel. It could help to post your exact process.

I don't know for sure since I've never foiled my grate, but if you think about it the air flow is likely being restricted by the foil. You are only leaving the gap around the grate available for the air to flow through which in turn can choke your fire. Try it without it and see if the temps are more in line with what you expect. Also, I would think the foil will hinder the amount of smoke that gets to the meat. Others on here know more than me, but that's my 2 cents.

I'll always use a minion method to start, with a full chimney of lump dumped on top. I go with a dry, foiled pan. Top vent is always 100% open, and I usually start with all bottom vents 100% open and close them as needed as I near 250*. I always use classic Kingsford.

I also think Todd is probably right. When I posted, I figured that was such a minor thing it wouldn't make any real difference, but that is the only thing that's changed recently.

It also helps me figure out a similar issue I'm having with my 14.5" WSM. I mainly use the 14.5" for jalapeno poppers, and I always foil the grates and use Pam spray on them to make sure the peppers don't stick. I didn't know if the getting-to-temp issue was just an issue with the 14.5 because I haven't used it nearly as much as the 18.5, but I'm betting the foil is a contributing factor there too.

In terms of poppers, have you tried something like this? It is a rack to hold jalapeno's upright or how about some type of small mesh baking rack or similar item to hold jalapeno's. That would allow you to get smoke and heat through without the foil blocking the air flow. I have used the standing popper device on the link above and it works great. Have also used a perforated mat for veggies on the grill so they don't fall through the grates.

When I can find the link for the perforated mat I will post it.
Check this link for something called the Frogmat. Works well.

You can also get the Frogmats from Amazon but owning a small business I do like to support other small business's.

Last edited:
One other thought, you said you dump a full chimney of lit on the top. Are you using only lump in your smoker? This tends to give you a shorter cook until you have to refill. I normally use only KBB in my smokers since it gives me a more consistent fire and only use about 15 or 20 lit KBB briquets to start. Just a thought.

I only use KBB.

How do you prepare your peppers, Bob? I have something similar to the pepper holder you posted (a re-gift from a neighbor), but we always cut the ends off our peppers, cut out peppers in half length-wise, remove the seeds and membranes amd fill them with a cream cheese/pepperjack cheese mixture and wrap them in bacon. I've always been worried that cooking them vertically will cause the cream cheese to slide out the bottom.

As for the peppers, I cut of the top and core the seeds and veins and leave the pointed end intact. Then stuff them, then wrap in bacon with a toothpick and then put them in the rack. Since the bottom end is intact, can't drip out. Works well. If we do them where we slice them in half, I use the frogmat and lay them on that. Probably stuff them and then a piece of schrimp and then wrap in bacon. The mat allows them to breath and heat is not blocked.

Back