Tried a different approach to smoking fish

DBWallis

TVWBB Super Fan
So, I've had my WSM for 3 months now, and tried smoking fish (mostly salmon) a few times. I've used what looks like the standard method of brining the fish with a mixture of kosher salt and brown sugar, with various other seasonings. Articles I've found on the web called for brining the fish anywhere from 2 hours to 24, and the first few times, I brined overnight. The fish has turned out too salty and too dry. Recipes call for smoking for up to 8 hours, but my fish has hit temps of 140 and above in as little as 30 minutes.

Last weekend, I tried a different approach... I brined in a mixture of 2 parts brown sugar to one part kosher salt, for only three hours, and I sprinkled it liberally with fresh ground black pepper and cayenne after rinsing it. I was using a piece of Atlantic salmon that was about an inch thick. I was planning to smoke a couple racks of baby backs, so I prepped the smoker (about 10 pounds of KBB, 12 briquettes of lit charcoal and 3 fist-sized chunks of hickory) and assembled it, fully closing 2 vents and opening the third about halfway, I added the fish. The smoker started at about 100 degrees, and built slowly up to about 220 over the course of an hour. At about an hour, the fish showed an internal temp of 140, so I pulled it.

The fish was just cooked through, and really juicy. The black pepper and cayenne were prominent in the finished product. Overall, I was very happy with the result. In fact, the fish could have used a little salt at the end.

This seems like a pretty good process when I'm smoking fish at the same time as some other meat. Oh... the ribs were awesome too!

The final product:
C8B2403B-3B48-4897-9D75-ECC1125986BF.jpg

DBWallis;
That Salmon looks to be perfectly done. I may have to try that method in the near future.

I am a Salmon fan, but mostly do mine on the grill over medium heat on a Cedar Plank. I haven't tried brining mine, yet, and my present "go to" rub is GFS's Trade East Salmon Rub. I love that combination whether hot or cold.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Check out the Cardogs brown sugar brined salmon recipe in the cooking topics section. it is excellent.

Last edited:
I'm tossing another 3.5 pounds of salmon on the smoker in another hour, planning to use this same technique.

I'm experimenting with seasoning... 1/3 has just cracker black pepper, 1/3 is sprinkled with chipotle powder, and the last 1/3 with cumin and garlic.

Can't wait to see how these turn out! Pics to follow.

Well, dang, no pics :(

The pork tenderloins we smoked got done much quicker than anticipated, which rushed the rest of dinner prep and dinner, and I didn't get a chance to take any photos.

I will say, however, that all three preparations of salmon were very tasty! We gave samples to neighbors, and they especially liked the cumin/garlic fish. The chipotle seasoned piece was, no surprise, quite spicy but very good, and the cracked pepper fish was yummy as usual.

I'm really liking this method, which slows down the process a little, especially with the thin filets we get here, prevents overcooking, and results in a really tender and moist fish.

Thanks Craig! There's something about that gelatinous fatty layer between the skin and meat when it's cooked juuust right!

Try using bourbon instead of water in your brine. Wow! :)

That's an interesting idea Vern! However, I do a dry cure, rather than a wet brine. Going wet feels like it would be starting all over again!

I've used Jack Danien's and cider vinegar as a spritz for ribs and brisket though, and that turns out well.

Back