Tri-State BBQ Festival 2016

Hi Everyone! Moderators, if you would like to move this to the competition thread that would be ok, just wanted to share my experience this weekend with all of you!

This past weekend my BBQ team went to Dothan Alabama for the Annual Tri-State BBQ Festival. Sorry I wish I had more pics to share, I was competing and really focusing on the comp.

We cook only using Weber Smokers. We went up against teams with $3,000+ vertical insulated smokers, pellet cookers, side burners, stick burners. You name it, a team was using it. We had 2 22" WSM, and 1 22" kettle (we do chicken on)

Saturday 5:30PM were the awards and we got the following results:

2nd Chicken
7th Ribs
2nd Pork
1st Brisket

2nd Overall (Reserve Grand)

This was out of 13 Backyard Teams.

here are a couple of pics from the weekend.

If anyone asks, is Weber a good enough smoker to compete on? YES!!!!! YES!!!!! YES!!!!

here is my and my teammate after the awards celebrating.

here is our 1st Place Brisket Box (Alabama State Champion)..."We also won last year :)"

Congrats Austin, Great looking box there. You should have gotten pix of the jaws dropping of the big $$ rig using competitors when the awards were being given out. :)

rb

yes, I should have! Those teams show up with banners, and sponsors, and all the high tech equipment. We show up with just our smokers, my camper, and a canopy. We get to sleep while our food cooks and they are up fighting fires and temps! :)

I love flying under the radar. :)

Austin, Congrats to your and your partner outstanding job. Keep those cooks coming and hopefully some pics.

Wow, that brisket looks amazing! Congrats! Also...
Ksj7JaQ.png

Thanks everyone!! I really appreciate your kind words! Now, back to the smoker and prepare for next year :)

Oh BTW: I missed 1st Place overall by 1.2 points. And this was caused because I got 7th place ribs. If I would of gotten 6th or better, I would of won Grand.

So as of this past weekend, I'm never cooking ribs again :) My teammate will be solely responsible!

Back