Trade or not to trade?

I have both a Ceramic and a WSM but would do as the others say and make the trade and then buy another WSM off CL but still keep the Egg. These things are brilliant!

I would make the trade Colby, for a couple of reasons, one as said here they are supposed to be great smokers,grillers, and a oven all in one. So that is a lot of new and different learning that you have so much fun mastering. Second if you still like and wanted a WSM you could pick one up off of CL when a good deal hits. Three living here in the cooler mid east a green egg would not be affected as much by the outside temps,and wind.

I would do it it would be a fun toy for many years to come.

Does he have any accessories with the BGE such as the deflector to turn the BGE into a smoker? If not you'll need to buy one if you plan on smoking with it.

Been looking to see if you pulled the trigger. I am torn. With my budget that's about the only way I get a BGE but I have a lot of loyalty and love for my WSM.

You guys may cringe over my decision but my Dad bought me the wsm as a present when I told him I may trade he seemed very let down I still went and checked the egg out and it is one of smaller ones but I really didn't care for it the design is awkward to me and it has never been covered and legs seem to be getting weak just from one move to there new house while the bge may be 700 dollars more than my cooker I also know the warranty doesn't transfer and weber backs up the wsm, I also know that after just a few amazing cooks on my wsm that I don't want an offset like I used to or some fancy expensive smoker I just want more wsm's I love the thing I set the dampers to temp and check it although I don't need to every hour and it barely moves even when I cooked in 9 degree weather in slight wind for at home and watching the game with friends there is nothing better

You guys may cringe over my decision but my Dad bought me the wsm as a present when I told him I may trade he seemed very let down I still went and checked the egg out and it is one of smaller ones but I really didn't care for it the design is awkward to me and it has never been covered and legs seem to be getting weak just from one move to there new house while the bge may be 700 dollars more than my cooker I also know the warranty doesn't transfer and weber backs up the wsm, I also know that after just a few amazing cooks on my wsm that I don't want an offset like I used to or some fancy expensive smoker I just want more wsm's I love the thing I set the dampers to temp and check it although I don't need to every hour and it barely moves even when I cooked in 9 degree weather in slight wind for at home and watching the game with friends there is nothing better

Well you didn't say it was a present from your Dad. it's a whole different ballgame.. but the thing is.. yours is a 18.5" and looks like you are game in getting a 22.5", this will give you an excuse to upgrade to a 22.5 and still get the egg.. the egg is not going to replace your WSM, the egg will open a whole new world of different bbq options, I would say the egg ;though it has the capability to smoke, will not smoke as well as the WSM. I have an Acorn which is a Kamado style egg. But after cooking it, I find the WSM is a way better smoker, specially ribs and butts. The BGE is a great griller, pizza maker, etc.. bottom line you have to think of it as an expansion of your tools.

Also used, the 18.5" wsm will only at about $100-$150 on CL, the BGE (small) is around the $300-$400 used market

Last edited:
I will probably upgrade to 22.5 next winter but not really interested in the bge anymore I have a grill if I need a grill and the wsm for smoking

Colby, ceramic cookers are for some people, not all. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a Primo XL and changed my mind buying my 26" kettle instead. Then came the mods but even without the mods I love my kettle and I love my WSM. I've owned three, two 18.5s and a 22. Settled in to what I have now plus the little kettle for shorter quicker cooks.
You got to do what feels right and you did!:)

Finally someone agrees lol and yes I've always been a propane guy for a grill but after being a member here I've decided to buy one and see which I prefer

I would keep the WMS your Dad got you.
The BGE is a nice cooker, I will but I probably will never own one, like my Weber’s to much.
My BIL has one he pulled it over this summer and it didn’t fare well, it went into a dozen or more pieces, he put it back together with JB weld.
I call it Franken cooker now. He claims he likes it more now than he did before he broke it

As (current) owner of a large BGE, a 26.75-inch kette w/Craycort grates, a 2010 C&B Performer, Bubba Keg grill (think of it as a steel large BGE), and 2013 Jumbo Joe - the best answer to an either/or question is BOTH, ALL or as many as you can afford or have room for.

Between each of the grills I've listed each one has areas it's "best" at or uses that it's "best" for. This is probably true for most people on this board - if you have a gas-assist Performer, it gets most use. End of story. Easy to start, hold temps very well, can smoke for 10-15 hrs at a time, do pizzas, has a table, just the right amount of grilling space, lots of aftermarket options, etc. No other grill I own has as many "pros" as the Performer.

On the other hand, no steel Weber grill I own is comparable to either of the two kamados I own for high temp searing, even cooking, baking, ease of steady temps for long periods of time, and moisture retention.

The 26.75 allows a huge grilling area for wings, burgers, dogs, etc. and multiple heat zones of cooking space. Can do full multiple racks of spares with no trimming.

The Jumbo Joe is a good mid-sized grill that gets hot quick, and still has enough room for two-zone or indirect cooking. A good quality grill at a very good price.

Bottom line - back to my original conclusion: When it comes to choice between quality grilling options, the best answer to an either/or question is BOTH, ALL, or as many as you can afford or have room for. :cool:

Last edited:

Back