Top or bottom rack?

Jay Turner

TVWBB Member
Howdy all,

I am new to slow cooking foods, but am excited about getting started with my WSM! I was wondering if you should cook with the meat on the top rack or the bottom rack if you are only cooking one brisket for some reason.

Does it make a difference? Is it easier to take temp readings if you use the bottom rack? Thanks in advance and thanks again to Chris for this great site.

Top rack Jay and welcome to TVWB. When you get a chance look over all the topics Chris has at the top of the page, there is a wealth of info there for someone just starting out.

Hi, Jay

and welcome to to this board. You will LOVE your WSM and be surprised at the results. There is one disbenifit to a WSM -- you will find that the resturant foods (like ribs) that you used to find so wonderful do NOT COMPARE.

In answer to your question, ask yourself, which is easier to get to?? Yup-- top rack. Also if you choose to deal with sand versus water, there is the radiant heat issue (not as big an issue to me as some make it) with the bottom rack.

We are here for you.

Jay, you'll find that it is much easier to work with foods on the top rack. If you cook two briskets then use both racks, rotating meats from top to bottom about half-way through the cook. When cooking poultry and anything else ALWAYS put the poultry on the bottom rack so the drippings don't touch any other meat. When cooking a pork butt and any other meat put the butt on top and let the drippings moisten and flavor the meat on bottom - this works great with brisket.

Good luck with your new WSM!

Back