Too cold for cold smoking?

Chris E

TVWBB Pro
I was planning to use my pro-Q cold smoker in the wsm tonight for salmon. The temps dropped and it is now 35 and low of 23 tonight.

I was thinking of lighting 2 kingsford briquettes and setting them in the coal ring against a single file row of briquettes. Sort of like a single file minion method.

Im hoping this will keep the WSM between 40 and 60 degrees. I was going to set my ET 732 food high temp alarm to 65 overnight in case the coals all catch. The BBQ probe high temp alarm won't go under 250 or so.

Worst case the fish freezes I suppose.

The smoldering Pro-Q cold smoker seems to have heated the wsm to 55 F after 30 min so I didn't put any lit coals in.

stay tuned for update in the morning...

OK so not perfect but I'm inspired to do it again.

I used farm salmon with no skin I got at Sams. I was looking for skin on wild but was in a hurry and wanted to try this.

Buried fish in kosher salt for 24 hours in a glass pan in the fridge. Rinsed the fish in cold water. Pat dry and let it dry for a couple hours at room temp.

Put Pro-Q on bottom food rack of WSM. Put Fish on top rack with food probe laying on the rack to monitor cooker temp. Lit a full pro-q that was loaded with mixed hardwood dust from P&S seasonings (?).

Began at 10pm and outside temp was 34 and dropping. Got down to 23 over night. Pro-Q was providing some heat and probe read 50F so I didn't add any coal. Temp stayed above 45 until I fell asleep at midnight. 5am temp was still 41F. Got up at 6:30 and cooker temp was 35. Took fish off at 8am (10hours on ProQ and still smoking).

I let the fish set for an hour and then sliced. Seemed very salty so I rinsed the filet and pat dry. Sliced and tasted. I bit of an edge to the smoke but not like an oversmoked/creosote taste. Just not mellow as I was looking for. Pretty salty. I ate on a bagel with cream cheese and tomatoe and it was really good.

Slicing cold smoked salmon
ProQ still smoking after 10 hours

I think I might look for apple or alder wood dust to mellow the smoke. Maybe put the proQ smoker in the coal ring under the empty water pan so smoke doesn't rise up directly to fish?
Store-bought lox seems to be a bit oiler and not as salty. Maybe they cure with other chemicals.

I would love to perfect this as my family can eat 2 lbs of lox for breakfast. Love some input.

Image links fixed...

OK so not perfect but I'm inspired to do it again.

I used farm salmon with no skin I got at Sams. I was looking for skin on wild but was in a hurry and wanted to try this.

Buried fish in kosher salt for 24 hours in a glass pan in the fridge. Rinsed the fish in cold water. Pat dry and let it dry for a couple hours at room temp.

Put Pro-Q on bottom food rack of WSM. Put Fish on top rack with food probe laying on the rack to monitor cooker temp. Lit a full pro-q that was loaded with mixed hardwood dust from P&S seasonings (?).

Began at 10pm and outside temp was 34 and dropping. Got down to 23 over night. Pro-Q was providing some heat and probe read 50F so I didn't add any coal. Temp stayed above 45 until I fell asleep at midnight. 5am temp was still 41F. Got up at 6:30 and cooker temp was 35. Took fish off at 8am (10hours on ProQ and still smoking).

I let the fish set for an hour and then sliced. Seemed very salty so I rinsed the filet and pat dry. Sliced and tasted. I bit of an edge to the smoke but not like an oversmoked/creosote taste. Just not mellow as I was looking for. Pretty salty. I ate on a bagel with cream cheese and tomatoe and it was really good.

Slicing cold smoked salmon
ProQ still smoking after 10 hours

I think I might look for apple or alder wood dust to mellow the smoke. Maybe put the proQ smoker in the coal ring under the empty water pan so smoke doesn't rise up directly to fish?
Store-bought lox seems to be a bit oiler and not as salty. Maybe they cure with other chemicals.

I would love to perfect this as my family can eat 2 lbs of lox for breakfast. Love some input.[/QUOTE]

Chris, I haven't cold smoked, but i never use anything stronger than apple with fish. You night have better results with that, especially with lox which never has a strong smoky flavour.

Back