Time to put this Q200 to pasture, or save it?

This popped up on FB marketplace, they accepted a low offer as my main interest was the included stand to use for another setup. Based on the pics I considered the Q as a freebie, possible throwaway.

So I get it home, and it's pretty disgusting. Grate is cracked in a place where the right side isn't stable and it will need to be replaced. The frame has melted thru, looks like those ceramic bushings broke and heat transferred directly to the frame. And the powdercoat on the cover is pitted/flaking.

Whatcha think. I figure bare minimum, new grate and pressure wash and it will "function". Really should replace the frame. And by that point, maybe have the cover repowdercoated? All said and done, $100+ of parts/powdercoat, probably not worth it

Attachments

• IMG_2181.jpg
    IMG_2181.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2182.jpg
    IMG_2182.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2183.jpg
    IMG_2183.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 57
I think it depends on a lot of factors: how handy are you, how much effort or cost is it worth? I think you could repair the grill by through bolting two pieces of flat strap below the “straps” on the grill. Use longer screws though the frame with ceramic bushings in the existing holes after cleaning up the melted part? Maybe 1/2” diameter x XX? That leaves powder coating. Since powder coating is baked/melted/cured at ~400 degrees, I don’t know if that’s the best path.

I think it depends on a lot of factors: how handy are you, how much effort or cost is it worth? I think you could repair the grill by through bolting two pieces of flat strap below the “straps” on the grill. Use longer screws though the frame with ceramic bushings in the existing holes after cleaning up the melted part? Maybe 1/2” diameter x XX? That leaves powder coating. Since powder coating is baked/melted/cured at ~400 degrees, I don’t know if that’s the best path.

Hmm interesting idea. Maybe I'll do a cheapo rehab. The powder coat, it's from a local company that primarily does engine parts. Apparently it's good to 900f. But if it's a cheap rehab probably better off with the rustoleum grill paint

Parts grill for sure. I would look for another grill to rehab and use this one for parts.

Larry, I didn't think you had a Q2xx any more since we traded a couple years ago.

The spacers are the same as are the screws. That Q300 I picked up a year or so ago in Janesville is missing them. So I thought before I make one out of wood dowel maybe I can get the "real things"

Have you tested the burner on this unit? That would be one of the first things I would check before investing too much time into cleaning it. It looks pretty badly treated.

Okay this is not worth messing with. The frame would require some work and hardware to get it even remotely usable, and even then it's going to pass heat through the bolts since the unobtainable ceramic bushings are gone. It doesn't have a thermometer so I would want to add that if I use it. Ultimately I have two Q120's and a Q2200 so no real "need" for this.

I'm going to save the burner, regulator setup, side shelves. Send the handle to lmichaels and toss the shell/frame/broken grate.

Hey if you scrap it could I get the handle spacers and screws from you?
I found the spacers / insulators for the Q. I just purchased a set and no need to buy the handle. They have 3 more pairs in stock (as of today)

Back