Time for a 18.85 lb. Standing Rib Roast?

Bryan Rice

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi All,

I am hosting a birthday party for a friend tomorrow evening, and I will be cooking up a 18.85 lb. standing rib roast that I have been dry aging for dinner. Yum. I will be roughly following the same technique that Chris chronicled here. I cooked one in my oven last Christmas following the Alton Brown recipe and it was magnificent.

Anyway, does anyone want to weigh in on how long this should take me (225 on WSM to 120, finish sear on kettle with indirect lump)?

I think it should take me a little under 6 and 1/2 hours on WSM plus the searing time. Is this an overestimate or does it sound about right?

As always, thanks!

P.S. Went to the Big Apple BBQ fest today - it would take less time to smoke my own ribs than wait in those lines - but I did watch Chris Lily chop up a pork shoulder. That was fun.

I've done a couple larger Prime Ribs. One 11+ pounds and the other a 15 pounder. Bothe finished in roughly 3 hrs. Larger Prime Ribs don't really follow the 22 or so minutes per pound. The shape of the roast is long and roughly cylinderical. The heat to cook the roast will hit it mainly from the sides, not the ends. I think you are looking for a 3 hr or so cook. I might shoot for 4 to give some time for the rest. 6.5 hours will be too long - unless you like your beef like my Mother-in-Law.

Precisely. Cook time is more a function of temp and thickness rather than temp and weight. 4 would be my plan time too.

Have a terrific dinner, Bryan--bet you will.

Bryan

I did one about a year ago. I did it low and slow. I don't remember the weight or time, but just a little reminder. There is a carry over rise in the temperature. So take it off before you reach the desired temperature or it will be over done. A bad thing for such a good piece of meat. I did mine between 120* and 125* and let it rest to 130* for medium rare.I did not sear it in the oven. I would do it the same way again.

Back