Time Estimate for 5.37 lbs. Brisket Flat?

Bryan Rice

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi All,

The first time I tried a brisket, it was too small and too lean and it turned out terribly.

I am making my second attempt tomorrow. I picked up a Brisket Flat, still in the cryovac, from Whole Foods. The flat has a nice fat cap on it and weighs 5.37lbs. untrimmed.

According to Chris's article, if I estimate 1.5 hours per pound then this thing should take only about 8 hours and some change. Is this correct or should I estimate differently since it is not a whole brisket but only a flat?

I am also a little unclear how much fat I should trim. Is it better to err on the side of trimming too much or too little?

I guess since I messed up the last one, I am a bit apprehensive about this one.

Thanx for any advice.

I would definitely err on the side of trimming too little. With just a flat, I like to have as much protection as possible.

Not everyone does this, but I find it makes it turn out better to foil for the last bit of the cook. Taking advice from folks on this board, I foil it at 165. Once it is foiled, the cook goes faster. 8 hours would be safe, but with foil, I think 6 hours is more likely.

Good luck.

My experience with flats is that they are trimmed. If you've ever seen a packer brisket fat cap verses a flat fat cap you'll see what i mean. I wouldn't trim it at all. If you want to check the thickness of the fat cap just make a slice in it down to the meat. Spread open the slice and you can check how thick the fat cap is. Cook fat cap down till flat reaches 160 - 170 and double wrap in foil. Continue to cook with fat cap up till temp hits 185 - 188. Figure on anywhere from 1 - 1.5 hrs per lb. Remove from the WSM and place in a cooler to rest for 2 -4 hrs.

Thanks for the advice! I will let you know how it goes...with any luck I will be having brisket for a late dinner tonight.

I've found the flats take substantially longer to cook than the packer cuts. I buy flats from time to time and find they average about 2 hours/lb without foil when cooked with a 225* grate temp.

I have only had the brisket on for about 2.5 hours, but the internal temp is already up to 155 degrees. Is this too fast?

The WSM was at 240 when I put it on, and then it dropped to about 220. The average grate temp has been hovering around 225.

At what temp does the connective tissues begin to dissolve?

Is something going wrong or will I hit a plateau soon and I should just relax?

Hope everything went well. With flats as said above smoke fat side down until around 160 - 165. Then wrap in aluminum foil still fat side up adding some additional liquid (i.e apple jiuce and beef boulion (sp). Back to smoker until 195+. Then in cooler fat side up for at least 2 hours. I add some additional rub and the flavor of your choice BBQ sauce at this point of time. Use it to baste when you are slicing, YUM!!!!!

Originally posted by Bryan Rice:
I have only had the brisket on for about 2.5 hours, but the internal temp is already up to 155 degrees. Is this too fast?

The WSM was at 240 when I put it on, and then it dropped to about 220. The average grate temp has been hovering around 225.

At what temp does the connective tissues begin to dissolve?

Is something going wrong or will I hit a plateau soon and I should just relax?
How do you have the thermo in the meat? From the top or in through the side (i hope).
160 is the break down/plateu.
Some take awhile to get through the plateu and others just cruise right through it.
icon_eek.gif

Originally posted by Bryan S:
How do you have the thermo in the meat? From the top or in through the side (i hope).

Put it through the side.

160 is the break down/plateu.
Some take awhile to get through the plateu and others just cruise right through it.

That is EXACTLY where it hit the plateau - it stayed at 160 for 2.5 more hours. It has just hit 163. I am going to wait until 165 before I foil it.

I am getting less apprehensive and more excited.

Well, it wasn't perfect, but it was darn sure edible.

I pulled the brisket at 188 degrees, and then let it rest for two hours.

There was not much of a smoke ring - maybe lending credence to the above 140 degree/no more smoke ring theory. It rose above 140 degrees in less than two hours.

Next time I will put the brisket on at a much lower grate temperature and see how long I can keep the meat under 140.

Here is the rubbed brisket as I put it on the WSM.

Here it is after the resting, and here are some slices.

It was tender, but not quite juicy. It had a great flavor and was just good enough to make me want to try again A.S.A.P.

I learned a lot from this smoke, and can't wait until this weekend...

Thanx for the advice.

Bryan -

Glad it turned out well. I would definitely throw the brisket on as soon as the you have assembled the smoker. It gives you a good 30 minutes + of extra smoke time.

So how long did the total smoke take? Sounds like it broke through the plateau at 5 hours? If you foiled, it probably only took, what, another hour or hour and a half to get to 188? Funny how the meat can stay at one temp so long, then once it decides its ready, jumps quickly to the done temp.

Queens question for you. I noticed you got a flat. Have you found anywhere in Queens to get a full packer brisket? I'm having a devil of a time up here in SW CT or Westchester finding anyone to sell me a full brisket. I'm seriously tempted to commandeer someones commercial license so I can go to the meat market in the Bronx to get one. I seriously don't think I'll find one any other way. Anyhow, if you know of a supplier, I have no problem heading into Queens for it.

I waited until 165 to foil - that took another hour or so, and then it took about an hour and a half to get to 188. All-in-all it took about 7.5 hours, plus resting time.

I got the brisket at a Whole Foods in Manhattan (Union Square). I have not been able to find a good beef butcher here in the Astoria area. I would think there should be at least one good one some where in Long Island City, but I have yet to find it...

As soon as I do, I will let you know. Maybe other Queens residents know of somewhere that I don't.

Bryan, what wood did you use for this? Toss that sucker on soon as you put it together next time. You'll get a better ring doing that.
If you are unhappy with it, I'll send you my address and you can send the leftovers this way!
icon_biggrin.gif

I used mesquite and lump charcoal (the lump was a mixture of oak and hickory, I think.)

I was not unhappy with it, but I can tell that it was just barely good enough...next time I will get that brisket on ASAP and focus more on that smoke ring.

The leftover are surprisingly tasty as well - so there is not much left to send your way!

speaking of astoria... there used to be a mexican bakery - hidalgo bakery I think? - in Astoria that had really good tamales. In fact, they had oaxacan tamales, which are really hard to find out here. Not sure if it is still there. It's been a few years. they may have changed the name of the bakery to something really generic. I think it was on 29th or 30th.

Anyhow, if you are in the area, enjoy a good tamale.

By the way, there has to be a good butcher in queens. We need to find it. what about this place?

Or, in Astoria, maybe there is a good old-time greek butcher?

Adam,
Packers can be difficult to find in our bbq scarce area. You can call some local meat wholesalers in your area, if they can't direct you to an account who will handle your request, sometimes they will sell direct. I've gone both those routes, which can be expensive for the former, and inconvienant on the latter.
Another alternative is to find your closest superwalmart, they normally stock the preferred bbq cuts at prices low enough to pay for the gas. My last brisket run was 70 miles roundtrip, and involved crossing state lines.

Back